Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this illegal/fraud? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If someone is insured as the main driver of a car and I am added as a named driver of the car, is this illegal? I don't see how.

My instructor said this is ok, but I keep hearing it's bad! I told him and he said he wouldn't tell me to do something if it was illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saif95)
    If someone is insured as the main driver of a car and I am added as a named driver of the car, is this illegal? I don't see how.

My instructor said this is ok, but I keep hearing it's bad! I told him and he said he wouldn't tell me to do something if it was illegal.
    Obviously this is legal (otherwise how would anyone ever have two named drivers on a car?!). However, if you're actually the main driver, it's fraudulent.

ReputationRep:
    If someone is the main driver, but you as the named driver are in fact the primary user of the car the insurance company has not properly calculated the risk as you have effectively lied about who will be using the car for the majority of the time. Hence they might declare you policy invalid and hence you are not insured.

The whole reason a named driver makes things cheaper is pretty much the same as putting a milage limit on your policy, it limits the time the insurance company are exposed to the risk of a young driver.

ReputationRep:

If the additional named driver actually makes more journeys in the car than the main driver and that fact isn't declared to the insurance company then it is fraud. Otherwise it is OK.

ReputationRep:

Its illegal only when the added named driver is the person who actually drives the car mainly, its called fronting.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, on who drives the car mostly.

Fig 1. Mums car, mum uses it Mon-Fri, on Saturdays I use it to drive into town. She can be main driver, I can be named.

Fig 2. My car, I use it Mon-Fri, on Saturdays she use it to drive into town. I will have to be main driver, she will be named.

Also, who ever owns the car should be the main driver on a policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)

Fig 1. Mums car, mum uses it Mon-Fri, on Saturdays I use it to drive into town. She can be main driver, I can be named.

Fig 2. My car, I use it Mon-Fri, on Saturdays she use it to drive into town. I will have to be main driver, she will be named.

The two may not match however. I think in this case the main driver should be the one who drives the car most, even if they don't own it. Don't know for sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    The two may not match however. I think in this case the main driver should be the one who drives the car most, even if they don't own it. Don't know for sure though.
    Insurance companies do not like insuring a car for a main driver who is not the registered keeper. Many make it a condition of the insurance, or make it difficult to do otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Insurance companies do not like insuring a car for a main driver who is not the registered keeper. Many make it a condition of the insurance, or make it difficult to do otherwise.
    Admittedly, having always just been a named driver on my dad's car, I don't have first hand experience of this, but I'd have thought it wasn't that uncommon. Although perhaps the parents willing to buy a car for their children to be the main driver of don't mind making them the owner anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)

The owner / registered keep doesn't have to be the main driver, but you do have to tell the insurance company that they are not - and the premium may be higher because of that.

ReputationRep:
    When you fill out applications online for insurance it asks who the main driver of the car is, it also asks who is the registered keeper.

If you are the main drive, IE use the car the most, then you have to be named as the main driver on the insurance. If you drive the car the most, yet are a named driver and you have an accident they might query it, especially if whoever is named as the main driver works (as you'd have to put that on your insurance application) and whether they have access to their own car or not (as they also ask this too).

My brother was registered keeper of a car - yet I was insured on it (he couldn't drive it as he couldn't afford the insurance, so I used to use it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    The owner / registered keep doesn't have to be the main driver, but you do have to tell the insurance company that they are not - and the premium may be higher because of that.
    Hence why I said should, not must.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you are lying to the insurers and you are in fact the main driver. If your Mum really is the main driver and you don't drive the car as much as her it is fine.

Both of my parents are named drivers on my policy because they take the price down so much, yet rarely drive the car. On the rare occasions that they do they are covered fully comp and not 3rd party only (drive any car on their own policy) so it is win win.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

You can be a named driver on the insurance on someone elses car, where they are the main driver. That is fine. Just like if you had a car and were the main driver, you could add your parents etc as named drivers if they will drive the car occasionally.
    There is only a problem when you are actually the main driver of the car, but for whatever reason (maybe to get things cheaper or whatever) you put yourself down only as a named driver, and someone else as the main driver. This is illegal and is called fronting. The insurance company will query things if they suspect this to be the case, and if you are caught fronting, it means that the insurance policy will be deemed invalid by the insurer, and if you have had an accident they wont pay out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    You can be a named driver on the insurance on someone elses car, where they are the main driver. That is fine. Just like if you had a car and were the main driver, you could add your parents etc as named drivers if they will drive the car occasionally.
    There is only a problem when you are actually the main driver of the car, but for whatever reason (maybe to get things cheaper or whatever) you put yourself down only as a named driver, and someone else as the main driver. This is illegal and is called fronting. The insurance company will query things if they suspect this to be the case, and if you are caught fronting, it means that the insurance policy will be deemed invalid by the insurer, and if you have had an accident they wont pay out.
    ^ Exactly this.

Worth adding if you get caught fronting, it is also possible that you can be done for no insurance (since it is invalidated). That will get you 6 points, and if you are in your probation period then you will loose your licence!

To be fair, it doesn't happend often, but it has happened before. Not worth the risk.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 10, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.