Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to lose weight and have a life Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I started a thread here a while back asking for advice on how to lose weight. There was loads of great advice on how to go about it, and at the time it was easy to follow. this was because I was on Christmas break and I had lots of time, so I got enough sleep, I preepared all my meals carefully, I did exercise everyday, I counted all my calories using my fitness pal... however, this usually took me most of my day.

I lost weight, which was very motivating. However, then school started, and waking up at 6AM started, and seeing as it's my final year of school ever, I have a lot of work getting ready for my IB exams which are less than a month away.

Waking up so early, and going to bed late meant that I usually felt sleep deprived and when I get home, I reach for something sugary to get the energy I'm lacking. Then, I don't really have time for exercise more than once a week, because there is just so much to do at school, and when I'm not at school I just feel completely exhausted, and like keeping my eyes open is already a lot of effort.

I know I'm not the only one, everyone else goes to school. How do you guys manage to both keep up with your daily life and your weight loss plan? Personally, I've had no luck and gained most of my weight back. I'm not letting myself get stuck in that vicious cycle again though.

ReputationRep:
    I record everything that I eat on MyFitnessPal every day and it doesn't take that much time, mainly because a) MFP recommends that I don't eat a ridiculous amount, so it encourages me to spend less time eating anyway, and b) I use the MFP iPad app, which has a barcode scanning feature which allows me to just scan the barcodes of stuff that I eat rather than manually search for it in the database. However, I don't see why even manually searching for what I eat in the MFP database would take me that much time. I largely stick to what MFP recommends with regard to my food consumption and only exercise about ten minutes a day and am still losing about 1 pound a week, so doing the necessary stuff to lose weight doesn't that take that much time out of my day.

Are you sure that you're definitely sticking to what MFP recommends? You don't strictly need to exercise to lose weight, just reduce the amount of food that you consume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    I record everything that I eat on MyFitnessPal every day and it doesn't take that much time, mainly because a) MFP recommends that I don't eat a ridiculous amount, so it encourages me to spend less time eating anyway, and b) I use the MFP iPad app, which has a barcode scanning feature which allows me to just scan the barcodes of stuff that I eat rather than manually search for it in the database. However, I don't see why even manually searching for what I eat in the MFP database would take me that much time. I largely stick to what MFP recommends with regard to my food consumption and only exercise about ten minutes a day and am still losing about 1 pound a week, so doing the necessary stuff to lose weight doesn't that take that much time out of my day.

Are you sure that you're definitely sticking to what MFP recommends? You don't strictly need to exercise to lose weight, just reduce the amount of food that you consume.
    Yes, I have the iPad app for My Fitness Pal too. It's useful, but the main problem is, I used to do at least an hour of exercise during my holidays every day, and I ate way less. Now, I eat more and exercise less, and it seems a little irreversible. 10 minutes a day, I could do. What do you do in those 10 minutes though ,that actually affects weight loss?

ReputationRep:
    Logging on MFP shouldn't take all day, to be honest. Especially if you eat similar foods so it comes up in your "recently used" or "most used". It should take a minute at the most to log each meal or snack, so about 6 minutes per day.

You don't have to spend a lot of time cooking; something like a bag of dried pasta and a tin of tomatoes can be sorted in 15 minutes, for example (although don't eat the whole bag, obviously, lol).

As for exercise, don't make it more complicated than it has to be. Just build it into every day life! Ie stairs instead of lifts, get off the bus a little early, do 10 start jumps every time you're at the bottom of the stairs.. every little helps!

What I always say to people who say they don't have enough time is very simple.. even if you don't change the TYPE of food you eat, just change your portions. Eating less will always take less time than eating more, right?

ReputationRep:
    How much weight are you looking to lose? As the previous post says, use My Fitness Pal. Also considering it's half term, maybe go to a fitness class or something at the local gym/leisure centre. On weekends go out one of the days and do something fun that also burns calories, like ice skating. I'm in my final year of school (doing A2 levels) and I've managed to lose 13lbs in the past couple of months (I'm now 7st 10) whilst studying for 4 A2s and an extra AS. I recommend that you eat less food but eat it more slowly so it tricks your brain into thinking it's had the same amount. I'm on 1200 calorie average a day but maybe start with 1500, depending on how much weight you want to lose. Don't do anything extreme because it will rebound. Take it slowly and gradually change the way you perceive food and exercise. I also recommend green tea - it speeds up your metabolism and makes you feel fuller. Stick to maybe one treat a day (small chocolate bar, couple of biscuits etc) - everything in moderation. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm cycling more and more to lose weight, so I'm using Endomondo and My Fitness Pal together. It's not too difficult, I just cycle everywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Logging on MFP shouldn't take all day, to be honest. Especially if you eat similar foods so it comes up in your "recently used" or "most used". It should take a minute at the most to log each meal or snack, so about 6 minutes per day.

You don't have to spend a lot of time cooking; something like a bag of dried pasta and a tin of tomatoes can be sorted in 15 minutes, for example (although don't eat the whole bag, obviously, lol).

As for exercise, don't make it more complicated than it has to be. Just build it into every day life! Ie stairs instead of lifts, get off the bus a little early, do 10 start jumps every time you're at the bottom of the stairs.. every little helps!

What I always say to people who say they don't have enough time is very simple.. even if you don't change the TYPE of food you eat, just change your portions. Eating less will always take less time than eating more, right?
    Well, finding the time to log into MPF isn't the problem (though, the fear of logging into MPF after not doing exercise and knowing I ate unhealthy food...)

As for your advice to incorporate exercise into my life, I do try and do that. Like, I run up the stairs, and try and squat while I brush my teeth etc. And I do try and change the type of food I eat, I used to eat a lot more bread especially for breakfast, now I pick up something from the salad bar on the way to school, or like a nutri bar, but when I get home I'm really bad. You know, I actually just read your Yo Yo diet poem on your blog, and I can absolutely relate! It goes so well at first, and then something messes it up :P

Anyway, I'll keep trying, and I'll be on study leave soon anyway, so hopefully I'll have a more regular schedule and be able to devote half an hour a day to exercise, plus plan my meals better. But, obviously, most people lead busy lives, I just wonder how everybody else does it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anime Lover)
    How much weight are you looking to lose? As the previous post says, use My Fitness Pal. Also considering it's half term, maybe go to a fitness class or something at the local gym/leisure centre. On weekends go out one of the days and do something fun that also burns calories, like ice skating. I'm in my final year of school (doing A2 levels) and I've managed to lose 13lbs in the past couple of months (I'm now 7st 10) whilst studying for 4 A2s and an extra AS. I recommend that you eat less food but eat it more slowly so it tricks your brain into thinking it's had the same amount. I'm on 1200 calorie average a day but maybe start with 1500, depending on how much weight you want to lose. Don't do anything extreme because it will rebound. Take it slowly and gradually change the way you perceive food and exercise. I also recommend green tea - it speeds up your metabolism and makes you feel fuller. Stick to maybe one treat a day (small chocolate bar, couple of biscuits etc) - everything in moderation. Good luck!
    Thanks for the green tea advice! And I definitely think I will be sticking to at least one small treat a day at least for now. Going cold turkey did NOT work for me. As you said, it'll have to be a little bit more gradual. Though, I did do the 1200 calorie thing before, and I had great results! My Fitness Pal is really awesome when you're willing to do what it says

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss G)
    What do you do in those 10 minutes though ,that actually affects weight loss?
    I do any of many different exercises, including walking briskly (whenever I am out of the house), using an exercise bike, using an air walker and using a 'twist and tone' disc (all exercise equipment that I have in my house). TBH, I think exercising is best used just as a way to encourage, rather than mainly cause, weight loss - simply reducing what you eat is a much more straightforward and less time-consuming way of causing weight loss than exercising. But even a little bit of exercise is better than nothing for encouraging weight loss, which is why I do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss G)
    Thanks for the green tea advice! And I definitely think I will be sticking to at least one small treat a day at least for now. Going cold turkey did NOT work for me. As you said, it'll have to be a little bit more gradual. Though, I did do the 1200 calorie thing before, and I had great results! My Fitness Pal is really awesome when you're willing to do what it says
    No problem! :3 Yeah, everything is good in moderation anyway. Eat what you enjoy but just less of it. The tesco eat, live, enjoy meals are really tasty and low in calories. I'm particularly fond of the fajitas and the Moroccan chicken and couscous. I'm sure you'll keep to it and lose weight once you cut down in a way that is actually manageable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)

I just joined My Fitness Pal. I find it nervewracking to sign in with facebook, I didn't click Invite on any of my friends, but I was afraid something could go wrong and they'd automatically send something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    I just joined My Fitness Pal. I find it nervewracking to sign in with facebook, I didn't click Invite on any of my friends, but I was afraid something could go wrong and they'd automatically send something.
    I haven't linked my MFP account to my Facebook account, so I don't have that problem. I think you can unlink your MFP and Facebook accounts and it explains exactly how you can in the MFP FAQs.

ReputationRep:
    honestly?? will power. right now im exhausted, had a bad day at uni and im a little depressed. all i fancy now is sitting on the sofa and snacking. instead im going to go for a run. no more to it!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Have you heard of HIIT? I find this is useful because it's about 20 minutes of exercise and you burn calories after you've finished exercising :yep:

I would also advice to make sure you eat healthy not just because you are trying to stay fit, but it makes you more focused and less sluggish :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Being busy might be an excuse for a reason not to put on weight but it's most certainly not a reason to not lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to believe you can't find time to exercise 45mins 3 days a week, for example. Nobody is saying you have to spend hours every day exercising.
    Plus you will find you are able to sleep and study better if you incorporate regular exercise into your daily life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I find it hard to believe you can't find time to exercise 45mins 3 days a week, for example. Nobody is saying you have to spend hours every day exercising.
    Plus you will find you are able to sleep and study better if you incorporate regular exercise into your daily life.
    If I'm not a member of the gym, 45 mins seems like a long time. Especially during revision for exams.
    I had a dramatic weight-loss and now I feel like I've gained it all back plus more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    If I'm not a member of the gym, 45 mins seems like a long time. Especially during revision for exams.
    I had a dramatic weight-loss and now I feel like I've gained it all back plus more.
    I didn't say go to the gym

And if you seriously think a total of 2 hours 15 mins a week less revision is going to make a difference to your exam results then...

Here are some exercise ideas that don't take long and are effective that I've taken from my friend's website.

-Find a hill/slope that's long-ish and quite steep
    -Sprint as fast as you can up the hill (important to give all you have) and walk slowly back down again.
    -Repeat up to 8 times. Beginners can try 3-4 times

Warm up by jogging to the place you intend to train. Cool down by going home again.
    If you can't find a hill just do in on the flat. Remember to run as fast as you can.

Or you could do the pack of cards workout from http://gubernatrix.co.uk/
    Assign one exercise (star jumps, pushups, squats, pullups, lunges, burpees) to each suit. Then you start turning over the cards. Say you assigned star jumps to hearts, if you get 8 of hearts you do 8 star jumps etc etc
    You don't have to do the whole pack in one go.

If you haven't got time for either of those then I don't think you really want to exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Everyone needs a break though, it's not good to revise ALL day. When I was revising for my finals, for example I'd do a couple of hours followed by 10 mins of exercise, and repeated that all day (so about 30 mins exercise a day, probably).

But as I said above, you can lose weight without exercising if your life is really too hectic to set aside a tiny bit of time. Just don't eat as much.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is revising all day for university exams is plain disorganised and is most likely spinning their wheels. Much better to do a normal working day, say 9-6 at the very most of focused revision then spend all day at it. For my final year undergrad exams, I spent more like 4 or 5 focused hours per day for a couple of weeks and then actually spent the evenings unwinding. Apart from anything else, I actually turned up to the exams themselves refreshed rather than the frazzled bags of nerves that half of the other students were.

The same thing applies to weight loss. As the OP has found out, overanalysing and monitoring everything on an ad hoc daily basis is not only too time intensive but is also ultimately counterproductive unless you have the rest of your life nailed down to the extent that you are able to organise yourself efficiently. The better strategy is to take a couple of hours to make an easy foolproof plan that you can follow without thinking about it. Last year I lost about 3 stone and I generally spent no more than 20-25 mins per day shopping for and preparing food.

It is all about the seven Ps: proper planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.