Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Main question in bold!!

I haven't studied Geography since Year 9 (nearly 6 years ago), but I'm doing Geosciences as an elective at University.

I have an assessed task of a scientific report and I've been given data, which I have converted into graph form, on rainfall (2 locations) & temperature (& SOI) in 6 locations.

Sooo, basically I've done an intro about climate change, it's triggers and controls etc.

But now I'm just a little stuck as to what to write - how indepth should I go (provided my limited knowledge on this subject, although it is for geoscientists to read as opposed to for a high schooler or the general public, so it can't be an informal scientific report where I define every key term in that sense)? What should I essentially talk about and what should I assume they know (and me talking about it would be classed as wasting words)?

I have to argue for or against climate change, and I want to argue for and believe most of my data supports this, and the 1 data that doesn't support this I believe I can manipulate in my hypothesis's favour).

Is this hypothesis sensible?:
    'It's expected that problematic (?) climate change does exist and the changes in rainfall and temperature will reflect this.'

Does anyone think that's too vague a statement (provided my limitted data - should i be more specific about exactly what climate change exists..or do all changes in climate affect each other, hence making it okay to say that a change in something here or there (eg rainfall or temp) = climate change)? Of course I'm not going to say it definitely exists, because my data shows a steady increase in temperature in Australia...but yeah I'm stuck on exactly how to phrase it.

Also, as you can see from this post :P my usage of words isn't really all that brief - what sort of things can I do to write a coherent and persuasive report in 1000 words? I've done about 200 for the intro :/

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    have you thought about using GIS to help support your statement? Yes you don't have much data, but you could create something.

Look in the areas that your locations are, and see if they are similar, then go wider. It seems really short for that question, would expect a 1,500 to 2,500 words for a question like that, especially when there's data there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    have you thought about using GIS to help support your statement? Yes you don't have much data, but you could create something.

Look in the areas that your locations are, and see if they are similar, then go wider. It seems really short for that question, would expect a 1,500 to 2,500 words for a question like that, especially when there's data there.
    Ahh, we are going to start learning how to use GIS this Friday (and have 2 hours a week using learning to use GIS for 5 weeks from now), so I don't really know anything about it yet. Is it possible to learn how to use it in a couple hours? I've never used it before soo :/ But yeah, I shall look into the 2 locations (Darwin/Carnarvon) and see why the temp/rainfall is similar/different for each
    Yeah true, I mean my intro is already now 250 words and still seems too brief, I can imagine my results section (cos I have to have 5 graphs and 2 tables in there) being around 300-400 words too. Which barely leaves anything for the discussion or conclusion. But still, 1000 is the limit.

Thanks for your response btw

ReputationRep:
    I do a lot of lecturing in fieldwork and urban geography, so not really my area, but for 1000 words I would say that intro is too long, you have to be very concise, which isn't easy.

GIS is quite easy to learn, assuming you'll be using ArcGIS majority of uni's do, GIS is a valuable skill, I can do some GIS, not an expert and don't like it, but I can do it, and you'll find most academics can do it to some extent.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.