Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was this a rude thing to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't know where exactly to post this but oh well...

I was waiting at a bus stop and a group of guys came up to stand near me. Started saying stuff like 'my friend wants to go out with you', 'he'll pay' lol. Kept this up for about 10min. I had headphones in and I just ignored them, pretending I couldn't hear, they're just trying to embarrass their friend after all (who was bright red at this point). They eventually gave up and I thought nothing of it.

When I was on the bus a woman who was also at the bus stop came up to me and had a go at me for ignoring them, telling me how rude I was, etc. (not that I consider that any of her business :confused:)

Usually when that sort of thing happens I do just ignore it. Am I wrong to do this? What should I do instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)

I was waiting at a bus stop and a group of guys came up to stand near me. Started saying stuff like 'my friend wants to go out with you', 'he'll pay' lol. Kept this up for about 10min. I had headphones in and I just ignored them, pretending I couldn't hear, they're just trying to embarrass their friend after all (who was bright red at this point). They eventually gave up and I thought nothing of it.

When I was on the bus a woman who was also at the bus stop came up to me and had a go at me for ignoring them, telling me how rude I was, etc. (not that I consider that any of her business :confused:)

Usually when that sort of thing happens I do just ignore it. Am I wrong to do this? What should I do instead?
    Say 'That's sweet but I have a boyfriend, sorry.' Even if you don't
    That's my tactic anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The woman was probably the guy's Mum or something. I can't see why else she'd want to get involved to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    ***** be jealous cos she didnt get any attention from the lads by the looks of things

ReputationRep:
    Should have told the guys that she wanted some.

ReputationRep:
    the 'i have headphones in i can't hear you tactic' I like It:smug:

ReputationRep:
    She's only jealous of the attention.

Hater's gon' hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Should have told the guys that she wanted some.
    this

seriously though, ignoring them is the best thing and I don't know what that woman's problem was. Maybe she didn't realise they were joking, interfering old bat

ReputationRep:
    Was he actually asking you out or were they taking the piss? I've been in that situation but they're just trying to annoy me so i ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    tell her you think they were being rude and that you think its rude to get involved. While smiling in a nice friendly voice

ReputationRep:
    I would have done exactly the same, ignore the silly old bat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)

Ignoring people is rude. Unless they're being rude to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    ***** be jealous cos she didnt get any attention from the lads by the looks of things
    Hahahaha!! Laughed so hard after reading this!

OP, that's quite unlucky to get verbally abused by both the young and old within a several minutes! You were right to ignore both sets of people, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    haha brilliant

ReputationRep:
    hmm I would have probably just done what you did. I don't know why the lady got involved..you didn't know them and didn't want trouble so just kept quiet. If you had spoken they could have just carried it on for longer making it even more uncomfortable and cringey :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)

Honestly, the only person in that situation who wasn't being rude was you.

ReputationRep:
    You should have told them you were a lesbian. That's got me out of more than a few dodgy situations before...

But seriously, she had no business to get involved. Don't worry, ignoring them was more polite than swearing at them or something. Some people are just ignorant or like to provoke and criticise others. A lot of adults see themselves as superior to us lowly students, but that's their problem! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)

You didn't do anything wrong. Don't dwell on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlrxx)

Ignore them if you wish, if anyone's at fault it's his friends for harassing you. Possibly saying you have a boyfriend would get rid of them more quickly and amiably. Definitely ignore people like her though, you hadn't hurt anyone (physically or emotionally) and she wasn't involved at all.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    What does it have to do with her?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.