Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my school Latin and Greek are taught in year nine, but you only start Classic Civilsation in year 10 if you choose to take it as a GCSE subject. I thought it looked interesting and I would rather be doing it instead of Art.

Is there any way I can prepare for it beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    My school starts offering it in year 10 and I don't think you can prepare really other than reading some books on it and things. If you took Latin like me then you probably learned some class civ anyway as part of the background you learn (depending on how your school teaches it). If your school only starts offering it in year 10 then the gcse will cover everything you need to know, even if you haven't done it before. It's the same as how you may only be able to start something like psychology or economics at A level.

ReputationRep:
    If your'e really interested in the subject I suggest starting to read some myths before you start, because everything you read will have refences to (or be about) various mythological tales. But its definetly not necessary!

ReputationRep:
    I had to knowledge of Classical Civilisation AT ALL prior to taking it in Year 10, I'm now in Year 11 aiming for an A* and hoping to study it further

I'd say studying Latin is a great help and if you want just read over The Odyssey or whichever book you'll be studying but it isn't a must, just enjoy your summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamic)
    In my school Latin and Greek are taught in year nine, but you only start Classic Civilsation in year 10 if you choose to take it as a GCSE subject. I thought it looked interesting and I would rather be doing it instead of Art.

Is there any way I can prepare for it beforehand?
    My school doesnt offer till A-level and me and 3 others got As in January even though we'd only been studying for a couple of months. Its not that hard so u wont need to prepare. It is fun and very much essay based, but no tedious coursework like Art.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.