Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm starting uni in September and I'm likely to recieve the full maintainance loan and grant. I've been advised to get a head start on applying to study abroad in my second year and I was wondering how maintenance grants work if I'm not in the country?

    I read that while I am away, I will pay the regular £9000 (via loan) to my home university and only have to pay living fees while away. Will I still get my grants/loans?

    Hopefully to be studying in the US if that makes a difference.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Eloise,

    If you're going to be going abroad in your second year, the 14/15 academic year you won't be able to apply for this until next year.

    The type of student finance that you'll be entitled to will depend on the nature of your placement, eg is it for a full year and is it unpaid.

    If for example you're on an unpaid full year's placement you would be able to apply for a tuition fee loan, a maintenance loan (an abroad rate will be applied automatically) as well as an income assessed maintenance grant and travel grant.

    More info on the travel grant here: http://bit.ly/14ojpKk

    Hope this helps,
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.