Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, As it stands i would like to venture into Law for my future career. I might attend uni abroad (somewhere like the states) but im not too sure yet :/

I have chosen these a-levels at the moment but i have one last chance to change them, so i would love feedback or opinions on whether they are good alevels for law, ect..

My chosen A-level:
    Biology
    German
    History
    Economics

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a good combination. If you want to study law, then there are no subject requirements, though history is good as it requires essay-writing and analysis. If you don't want to study law but want to be a lawyer then that's also fine, as your subjects won't matter by that point; you just do a conversion course after whatever degree you do. (That's in the UK, no idea how the States operate)

ReputationRep:
    Law in the USA is a postgraduate course, meaning that you need an undergraduate degree before attending Law School, and in the states it is highly competitive.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Attending law school in the States means you need an undergraduate degree first in something else or maybe even pre-law. If you ultimately want to practice in the UK, you're better off studying law here or doing a non-law degree and then converting, etc.

If you want to ultimately practice in the States, it's even more competitive for you since you will be an international and law schools have very stringent requirements for non-US law applicants for their JD programmes, especially the really competitive ones.

I'd have a think about what you want and once you've decided that, maybe research into your options a bit more? Or post more details about what you want here and maybe we could try to give you better, more useful advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanAubrey)
    Firstly, As it stands i would like to venture into Law for my future career. I might attend uni abroad (somewhere like the states) but im not too sure yet :/

I have chosen these a-levels at the moment but i have one last chance to change them, so i would love feedback or opinions on whether they are good alevels for law, ect..

My chosen A-level:
    Biology
    German
    History
    Economics

Thanks
    Perfect for Law, as your subject combination doesn't matter that much. You've got the perfect combination, a foreign language, a social science, two essay subjects, historical knowledge, and evidence of scientific thought.

The only reason you should change your subjects is if you think you can do better in other ones, or if you think you would enjoy others more.

Other equally suitable subjects would be Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Philosophy and Geography, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've picked great choices!
    I do Biology, Chemistry, German and Textiles.
    Let me warn you, German is very demanding. If you're organised and passionate, you will be fine!!
    It's great fun towards the end of the year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.