Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my final year of my law degree and last year I had a few problems so I am only going to get a 2:2 probably a high one all going well..

I have a conditional place for the LPC in Liverpool, however is there really any point as the majority of firms want a 2:2. People say its possible to get a training contract but is it really? I mean people with 2:1's don't.

The majority of places I have applied to have already turned me down for work experience, should I just give up?

I don't want "yes" or "no" constructive answers please.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    That depends, what were your "few problems" for getting a 2:2 average? If you have good and understandable extenuating circumstances you can very much get a TC.

A friend of mine got a low 2:2 in first-year and had to retake one of her modules, she still for Vac Schemes at Linklaters and Ashurst because her grades were the result of attending university full-time whilst helping her mother after her dad died that year and then helping her husband who had been diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing chemo most of that year. She ended up getting a TC offer at Links at the end of the summer.

If you have compelling reasons for low grades there's no reason why you should be held behind.

ReputationRep:
    I had to go home over the summer as advised by the doctor as I had severe depression, I came back in the summer to take my exams but I did not sit two of them due to be ill in bed and provided a doctors note so I am allowed to sit them this year for full marks.

I am taking eight modules this semester instead of four
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jenn91)
    I had to go home over the summer as advised by the doctor as I had severe depression, I came back in the summer to take my exams but I did not sit two of them due to be ill in bed and provided a doctors note so I am allowed to sit them this year for full marks.

I am taking eight modules this semester instead of four
    Well, in that case, I don't see why you can't make out a case for extenuating circumstances. But this is a bit more up in the air, purely in my opinion. I would go for a few law fairs or some such, speak to law firm HR personnel, etc. and ask them what they make of your situation.

Beyond that, honestly, it's very, very tough in the legal market at present. Poor grades, with extenuating circumstances or not, aren't going to help your cause. If you have something special that makes your application stand out, like some interesting work experience you did for a year or more, or something surprising or impressive, it will help get your foot in the door.

There is an overabundance of qualified law students, many of whom are currently working as paralegals, etc at the moment. You can never tell how things will work out. It further compounds things depending on where you want to work: London, a smaller city, a regional practice, a high street/boutique firm? Things like that make a lot of difference.

There are just so many subjective considerations when adjudging an application, you have to do everything in your power to make yours stand out. Unfortunately, there really are no guarantees.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.