Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 and doing my first RE exam in a few weeks. It's based on relationships, Our world, Looking for meaning and is it fair. I did a mock on just the relationships and our world topics and came out with an A*, i felt like I just blagged my way through the exam so i'm wondering if much revision is actually needed for the exam or could i get away without doing much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _molly)
    I'm in year 10 and doing my first RE exam in a few weeks. It's based on relationships, Our world, Looking for meaning and is it fair. I did a mock on just the relationships and our world topics and came out with an A*, i felt like I just blagged my way through the exam so i'm wondering if much revision is actually needed for the exam or could i get away without doing much?
    The best definition of R.E, i started quoting different religious sayings in my exam which i didn't even know if they existed, i also referenced jedism and still got an A* overall.

ReputationRep:
    very easy.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really that hard. I was getting a B max on mocks and ended up with an A*. I just memorised about 3 quotes and regurgitated them combined with some of my own knowledge. I did OCR I think btw, so my format was mostly essay-based, but I've seen papers with a multiple choice element, so this depends on your board.

You just have to know the exam technique and how to answer the question, and make sure you know the key definitions, because they are really easy marks to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    The best definition of R.E, i started quoting different religious sayings in my exam which i didn't even know if they existed, i also referenced jedism and still got an A* overall.
    do you mean that you made the quotes up?

ReputationRep:
    do you mean that you made the quotes up?
    I knew they existed but just paraphrased, i also know how to write punjabi so i wrote a bunch of random words and said that it meant stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    It's not really that hard. I was getting a B max on mocks and ended up with an A*. I just memorised about 3 quotes and regurgitated them combined with some of my own knowledge. I did OCR I think btw, so my format was mostly essay-based, but I've seen papers with a multiple choice element, so this depends on your board.

You just have to know the exam technique and how to answer the question, and make sure you know the key definitions, because they are really easy marks to get.
    ah thank you, yeah i'm on WJEC so every exam is set out as a 2 mark, 4 mark, 4 mark, 6 mark, 8 mark and it's like that for each of the four topics within the exam

ReputationRep:
    Pretty easy, just learn a couple of random definitions and you're pretty much sorted

ReputationRep:
    By what you've written about your course, I assume its on WJEC and is the same exam I'm taking. Its easy. I do exam questions most weeks without revision and normally get full marks or drop one/two, and I'm not an all-round A* students. I didn't revise for my RS mocks (I take full course) and I got two A*s, I dropped 1 mark in short course and 2 marks in the full course papers.

You can easily blag it. As long as you know how to approach the questions then you should be fine. You always need pieces of evidence, I find that free will and conscience by God/Allah etc would work for a lot of situations (just don't use them against each other in arguments, that doesn't work I think) and 'love thy neighbour' works for a few arguments on the Christian point of view. Learn these pieces of evidence and a few others from Islam and Christianity, know how to explain them and you should be fine.

I would recommend you learn some of the religious ideas that are likely to come up on a d) question, as this is where I normally drop a mark or two, and learn the definitions and remember when you have to give an example for the definition question, that it is a religious example!

I would also say just do a couple of past papers, maybe the weekend before the exam, that's probably what I'll be doing (along with a lot more revision).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08rbut)
    By what you've written about your course, I assume its on WJEC and is the same exam I'm taking. Its easy. I do exam questions most weeks without revision and normally get full marks or drop one/two, and I'm not an all-round A* students. I didn't revise for my RS mocks (I take full course) and I got two A*s, I dropped 1 mark in short course and 2 marks in the full course papers.

You can easily blag it. As long as you know how to approach the questions then you should be fine. You always need pieces of evidence, I find that free will and conscience by God/Allah etc would work for a lot of situations, and 'love thy neighbour' works for a few arguments on the Christian point of view. Learn these pieces of evidence and a few others from Islam and Christianity, know how to explain them and you should be fine.

I would recommend you learn some of the religious ideas that are likely to come up on a d) question, as this is where I normally drop a mark or two, and learn the definitions and remember when you have to give an example for the definition question, that it is a religious example!

I would also say just do a couple of past papers, maybe the weekend before the exam, that's probably what I'll be doing (along with a lot more revision).
    Thankyou so much, i'm less stressed now hahaha

ReputationRep:
    just read your class notes and do about two or three past papers.

ReputationRep:
    By the way we've been given a revision guide made by our teacher and we seem to cover NOTHING in class compared to what is in this revision guide so i'm basically trying to teach myself everything STRESS

ReputationRep:
    By the way we've been given a revision guide made by our teacher and we seem to cover NOTHING in class compared to what is in this revision guide so i'm basically trying to teach myself everything STRESS
    No need to stress, just quote "Love thy neighbour" every other sentence and you'll be fiiiiinnnee

ReputationRep:
    RE is one of my favorite subjects because you wouldnt have to do much revision, and could still get an A.
    All you have to is blag your answer for everything. You wouldn't even have to learn in-depth knowledge about different religions and viewpoints; just the basics would do, as long as you can argue your viewpoint very well. What i found (that always seemed to work) was to ask a rhetorical question within my answer. I did it for GCSE and AS exams and got A*/A in both

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep, answered very little and got an F.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have an open mind as well as your own opinions for each topic, almost no revision is needed at all.

ReputationRep:
    RE was the only GCSE I did next to no revision for. I got a B in my year 10 exam and an A* in my year 11 exam - A overall.

I think as long as you understand the topics you'll be fine, since it's mainly about constructing an argument.

ReputationRep:
    R.E is basically expressing what your opinion is while at the same time being aware of other peoples views. So how can they give you a bad grade for your own opinion? They can't.

I shouldn't worry to much about your R.E exam but instead spent time on subjects like Maths and English which all employers and college's look for.

Hope this helps and bit. I'm sure that you'll be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.