Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I am a year 12 currently considering my options and prospects in terms of universities. Currently I'm working at ABB with a view to finishing on AAB at the end of As level.

I am most interested in Law at university as that's the career path I would most like to take, politics could also be considered, but I am unsure as to what sort of job prospects that holds in future in comparison to opportunities in Law.

In terms of studying Law I am considering East Anglia and Surrey, given that I'm predicting AAB where would you recommend would be best to study? Could that get me into a Russell group uni potentially?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    AAB could get you into Russell Group, but you'd have to check. From what I've heard they've upped grade requirements in the last two years from what it was when I applied.

You could always study Politics and then do the law conversion. That's actually a very popular option these days and most law firms/Chambers have nearly 50% of their intake from non-law these candidates days. It certainly won't disadvantage you.

Just something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LutonTownJonny)
    Hi Guys,

I am a year 12 currently considering my options and prospects in terms of universities. Currently I'm working at ABB with a view to finishing on AAB at the end of As level.

I am most interested in Law at university as that's the career path I would most like to take, politics could also be considered, but I am unsure as to what sort of job prospects that holds in future in comparison to opportunities in Law.

In terms of studying Law I am considering East Anglia and Surrey, given that I'm predicting AAB where would you recommend would be best to study? Could that get me into a Russell group uni potentially?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Politics entry requirements are lower than Law so you could get into a Russell Group that way. For straight law 2013/2014 Entry Liverpool's entry requirements were ABB. Birmingham University give out AAB offers for law sometimes, so does Exeter (contextual - taking into account other factors so school etc).

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cardiff Uni Law LLB with politics
    Exeter uni LLb with modules outside your degree (could be pol if you wish)
    Manchester law with pol
    queens uni belfast law llb with politics
    finally if you become more hench with A levels KCL Politics philosophy and law llb
    all russel group all accommodate your gay need for politics
    i wish i could have done one of these as i wanted to do pol but chose law llb straight instead...still love it though

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone here is going on about politics as a degree but you prioritised law massively above politics, and politics is a totally different kettle of fish - it's a bucket of "-isms" and theories and case studies at least some of which you have to remember, and not worth doing unless someone's deeply interested in it for itself as a degree.

Occupationally speaking, law as a degree, in principle opens doors across more fields - a lot of it relates to commerce - provided that's what you want. If you do decide on a law degree it might be worth looking at four-year courses so you can do 16 rather than 12 modules.

If you fall in love with another subject for uni, go for it - as the other poster says you can get into law after that anyway. But only if you really want to. Doing an LLB gives more flexibility to move between legal fields, I'm told.

It might be worth your looking at what a law degree is like and what others are too, I say this as it its characteristics came as a bit of a shock to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.