Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I recently came across The Big Book of Health and Fitness: A Practical Guide to Diet, Exercise, Healthy Aging, Illness Prevention, and Sexual Well-Being by Phillip Maffetone. I must say this is a superb book to read if you are looking to lose weight, get fitter, or get healthy.

I have recently started reading this book, but here is something that I learned from it so far:

There are two forms of exercise - Aerobic, and Anaerobic. Aerobic exercise burns fat, and Anaerobic burns sugar. Now, some of you may think that running, jogging, dancing, step aerobics, etc, are Aerobic, and in a sense they are - but only if you stay below/at your maximum heart rate. If you exceed your maximum heart rate then you go into the sugar burning zone, and if you are doing lots of intense exercise [especially if you don't have a good Aerobic base] then you are putting unnecessary stress on your body.

Philip Maffetone advises us to first build up an Aerobic base. Invest in an Heart Rate Monitor and workout 1 hour, 5 times a week, below/at your maximum heart rate. For those of you who have been exercising a long time the pace you walk/jog/run/cycle/dance/etc at to keep your heart rate below/at your maximum will be slow, but as your Aerobic base get's stronger you will be faster, going longer distances, and working out more, to keep the same maximum heart rate. After at least 3 months of building your Aerobic base you can start adding in some Anaerobic exercise.

The workouts should go like this:

15 minute warm-up : In which your heart rate slowly rises. This will let your body slowly circulate more blood to your muscles instead of being forced suddenly to decrease blood flow to your nervous system / other important places which I don't remember, and increasing the flow to your muscles, shocking the body.

:flip: 30 minute's exercising at b/w your maximum heart rate and 10 beats below your heart rate. So basically if your maximum HR is 160, then you will need to keep your heart rate b/w 150-160 [ the closer to the maximum HR, the more benefits] during these 30 minutes.

15 minutes cool-down so your body can get back to normal.

So yeah, that's some stuff that I remember. I have only read part of the exercise portion of this book. It has information on nutrition, sexual health, and other pretty cool stuff.

I really recommend you guys to check out this book. I'm extremely lucky I found it because I was guilty of doing to much Anaerobic exercise.

To be honest, that all went completely over my head. I just use my common sense, do what I think is right and it seems to work. Eat clean, train hard with both weights and cardio and maintain this for life. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, for the majority of people, the mantra of "exercise burns calories" is as scientific as things need to get. Not many people will measure their heart rate, and many won't even time their exercise sessions!

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't make sense when you factor in that HIIT has been proven to be one of the most effective ways to burn fat.

ReputationRep:
    15 minutes warm up. Tha ****, that's a workout in itself.

What a load of piffle. I'd suggest people ignore that advice and just go to sticky for the real advice that works. OP drop that book, you've been duped.

Bet Mr Maffetone recommended a typical brand of heart rate monitor to be used.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are a pensioner, have recently suffered a long term illness, are stupidly sedentary or are heavily obese - the likelihood is that you have a decent fitness base to be able to do at least some amount of vigorous exercise. I mean, most people less than say 40 will be able to go out and jog a couple of miles even if they are a pretty sedentary desk rat.

In any case, it is much simpler than you are making out:

If you can't sprint for very long - build up by jogging.

If you can't jog for very long - build up to it by fast walking.

If you can't walk for very long - build up to it.

That was just one example but the same applies to any other activity - just build up to it and work within the parameters set by your current fitness level. No need to measure your heart rate.

In any case, you are drastically oversimplifying things. The body doesn't switch from one energy system to another when you hit a certain heart rate. In reality, you will be using several at once to various different degrees depending on heart rate and other factors. Unless you are interested in human physiology however - you don't really need to know any of that to get fitter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.