Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've sent off my student finance application and I ticked that I will be moving away from home (I live in London and my firm university choice is in London). However, I don't want to move to halls so will be renting out with a few friends privately. I have two questions:

1. If something goes wrong with us all moving out my backup was just to simply stay at home as the university I firmed is close to home. Now student finance will give me around £5900~ if I move away from home but much less is I don't, and if something does go wrong and I don't move away then would I still get the £5900~ or would I have to contact student finance to tell them? (I understand this is a loan and I will have to pay it back regardless if I live at home or not)
    2. Is it illegal if I say I'm moving away from home but instead I do live at home(i.e if the above situation does occur).

thank you.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi DH,

Sorry for the delay, I missed your question!

If your living circumstances change then yes you would need to inform SFE as your maintenance loan entitlement may change slightly.

If you deliberately indicate that you are currently living away from home and you're actually living at home this would be fraud.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi DH,

Sorry for the delay, I missed your question!

If your living circumstances change then yes you would need to inform SFE as your maintenance loan entitlement may change slightly.

If you deliberately indicate that you are currently living away from home and you're actually living at home this would be fraud.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee
    Hi, thank you for the reply.

One more question:
    If I do live at home then how much would my maintenance loan change by? Currently, if I live away from home I receive £3,354 maintenance grant and £5,998 maintenance loan - I understand the grant will be unchanged by how much would the loan be changed by? I've looked online but I understand it depends on how much of the grant you're getting and I can't find out exactly how much I would get.

My household income is below £25000
    thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.