Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    walking dead spoiler season 2 (yes i used a spoiler as it should be used):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i was watching walking dead yesterday (early second season), when i got to an episode where a lady (not good with names) lost her daughter in a potentially dangerous area, she inappropriately compared her (potential) loss to another lady whose sister is dead. i think she mentioned losing her daughter (assume she died) was more significant than the other lady losing her sister

the friend said he wouldnt mind if a person compared losing their (kid) daughter as being more significant than him losing his sister (adult) because to him, someone elses daughter > his sister...

I said ethically theyre the same (ignoring utilitarianism for now), you cant compare peoples worths like that, in which he gave a serious look and replied i had psychological issues.. (cheers mate :yy:)... this made me wonder what other people thought...

my reasoning:
    Spoiler:
    Show

from a utalitarian perspective, the daughter would have more significance because of her younger age assuming she is healthy and the sister doesnt have any significant traits that can save lives or something. .....but ignore this perspective for now.

from the mothers perspective, obviously the daughter takes priority, but i would have thought from your perspective, if you had a sister (assuming you dont hate her), that she would be a higher priority than someone elses daughter.

while i could try and put myself in the mothers shoes and hence compare my sister to my hypothetical daughter, is that appropriate? comparing my real sister to a hypothetical being?

so what do you think? whose life ethically has more significance:
    1) the kid daughter
    2) the adult sister
    3) same
    4) other

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.