Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Several students from one sixth form applying to medicine at a single university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically, there are about 8/9 students (including me) in my year who want to study medicine in the UK, and we are all pretty much looking at the same medical schools. I wanted to know if this would lower any of our chances of getting in, I mean do universities tend to not accept more than 1 student from a single school every year, or do they not care about that at all? I have heard that they are not allowed to lower your chances depending on how many apply from your school, but is that actually true? and do they go by that rule or do they take less people from one school?
    Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM74)
    Ok so basically, there are about 8/9 students (including me) in my year who want to study medicine in the UK, and we are all pretty much looking at the same medical schools. I wanted to know if this would lower any of our chances of getting in, I mean do universities tend to not accept more than 1 student from a single school every year, or do they not care about that at all? I have heard that they are not allowed to lower your chances depending on how many apply from your school, but is that actually true? and do they go by that rule or do they take less people from one school?
    Thanks in advance!!
    They wouldn't care one iota if you are all from the same school or from the far corners of the universe.

Work on your experience, personal statement and make sure your grades are good. Based upon that, you give yourself the best chance possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM74)
    Thanks in advance!!
    Wont care

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They wont care. They have no reason to do this as it would make the admissions process unfair.

ReputationRep:
    If you're all international students it might become an issue but that would be due to numbers of places rather than the school you went to.

ReputationRep:
    They won't care, but be careful you don't end up hating each other when some of you get offers and others don't...

Quite a lot of my people ended up at Nottingham together so it does happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM74)
    Thanks in advance!!
    They don't care at all......... going to the same school doesn't affect your chances.

ReputationRep:
    I can think of probably half a dozen people from one school in my year... The only thing I could think of is that if your reference was significantly less complimentary than someone else's from your school, and your applications coincidentally landed on the same admissions tutors desk at a similar time, you might be disadvantaged, but it's extremely unlikely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.