Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I say 'working' fairly loosely because the other day I found out he wasn't actually working at all when he told me he was.

I work 5 days a week, 9 til 5, like routine. My boyfriend works part-time outside of university, but his hours are insane and unpredictable. At the moment he works all day every weekend, and almost every day during the week. I get about 1-2 nights a week to see him, and NEVER a day during the weekend.

Now I understand that this isn't really his fault, but this isn't the first time we've had this problem. I dated him last year and we broke up because he had no time for me, and I felt ignored. This year he's told me he has all this new time, and he can make it work, but after less than a month it's back to normal. I don't have his rota, so I don't know for sure if he even IS working when he tells me he is, because I've caught him out about it before. And I know he has other friends, but often I feel like he's putting our relationship second and would rather see his friends on his rare time off than see me.

I just feel used and neglected and a little lied to. He rarely travels to my house because I'm the one with the car, so I always have to drive to his. I feel more like a booty call when he's got an evening off than his girlfriend at times.

I get that he has to work- he's a student, he needs the hours. But I feel totally sidelined in his life and not like a girlfriend at all, and it eats me up inside because I really do make every effort to make this work. When we're together, it's like the perfect relationship, but those times are few and far between. What do I do? He hasn't done anything WRONG really, so how do I confront this issue?

it seems a little ridiculous to break up over WORK HOURS, but seriously, it's not a relationship unless you're actually seeing each other.

Anon cos he has a profile i think.

ReputationRep:
    It's often a bad idea to get back to somebody if you've broken up with them previously - especially if, as you said, he initially said when you got back together again he said he had more spare time for you. It's obviously an issue for you so you should definitely speak to him about it again. He shouldn't keep prioritising his friends over you either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.