Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, Fracking or Fracing? Fracing makes more sense but looks odd...

Anyway. What is your views?

I think for the UK hydraulic fracturing doesn't carry the threat of increased seismic activity and therefore wouldn't hold the same weight as the argument being made in the USA.

However I think it is more a problem of water safety in the UK, not to mention gas leaking into the atmosphere which can cause brain damage if exposed to it long enough.

In the USA there have been several reports of water contamination. The energy companies respond saying it isn't anything to do with fracking. I agree, being able set your water on fire is something that happens all the time...wait?

So obviously fracking has some serious consequences on things like water. People argue this is not related to the actual drilling but from unsafe disposal of the waste water or say a truck removing the water spills it. This is not an excuse and is still classed as contamination due to fracking, regardless of whether it was the drilling or not.

I'd be sure if they decided to drill in 11 Downing St's back garden Gideon would soon begin to doubt the safety of the procedure.

What I don't understand is why in this day and age with climate change and depleting fossil fuels, why doesn't our government make renewable energy the priority? Sure, Not so Great Britain when it comes to energy may not be able to live off renewables alone, but getting to a point where 100% of energy from renewables is being used should be a target. Not only would it be better for the environment, create jobs and set an example for the rest of the world, but it would be a start move than digging a hole in the ground that can only be used 18 times (if the same as the USA).

So, should fracking even be on the agenda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)

I think for the UK hydraulic fracturing doesn't carry the threat of increased seismic activity and therefore wouldn't hold the same weight as the argument being made in the USA.

However I think it is more a problem of water safety in the UK, Agreed, but new technology, mistakes will happen and lessons will be learnt. I'm not entirely sure that Lancashire gets it's water supply from under Morecomb Bay though not to mention gas leaking into the atmosphere which can cause brain damage if exposed to it long enough. People living in Morecombe Bay? The good thing about fracking is that if you have a leak, then the leak stops when you stop fracking.

In the USA there have been several reports of water contamination. The energy companies respond saying it isn't anything to do with fracking. I agree, being able set your water on fire is something that happens all the time...wait?

So obviously fracking has some serious consequences on things like water. People argue this is not related to the actual drilling but from unsafe disposal of the waste water or say a truck removing the water spills it. This is not an excuse and is still classed as contamination due to fracking, regardless of whether it was the drilling or not. We've had water contamination in this country before and not due to fracking. A lot of the horror storys are being pushed by environmentalists and people with intersts in renewable energy. There are some concerns, but I'm sure they'll be mitigated with robust procedures.

I'd be sure if they decided to drill in 11 Downing St's back garden Gideon would soon begin to doubt the safety of the procedure. I'm a bit confused about this comment. You could say that about anything. Airports, Petrol stations etc etc. I don't think they'll be doing fracking in peoples back gardens.

What I don't understand is why in this day and age with climate change and depleting fossil fuels, why doesn't our government make renewable energy the priority? We have over 600 years worth of high grade coal in the UK alone. Renewables are good as part of a balanced energy approach. Unfortunatly they aren't reliable enough. The wind doesn't always blow, the sun doesn't always come out and tidal power only works twice a day. If we want real energy security with Zero Carbon emmissions, Nuclear is the way forward, but the environmental lobby like to go on about CO2, but also don't like Nuclear.Sure, Not so Great Britain when it comes to energy may not be able to live off renewables alone, but getting to a point where 100% of energy from renewables is being used should be a target. See previous point. Not reliable enough. Do you think we'll have a wind turbine powered steel mill in the near future? Not only would it be better for the environment Actually not. Toyatoa Prius's have now been proven to be more damaging to the environment than petrol cars and there was a recent report published highlighting the fact that on shore wind turbines in peaty area's release more CO2 from the ground than they actually save., create jobs Most Renewable jobs are abroad. and set an example for the rest of the world, but it would be a start move than digging a hole in the ground that can only be used 18 times (if the same as the USA).

In answer to your question. Fracking is an excellent idea. Not only to meet our energy needs, but for job and wealth creation.

http://www.ukmediacentre.pwc.com/New...2035-1377.aspx

ReputationRep:
    More than the risks, what concerns me is that far from reducing demand for fossil fuels, we are just increasing them, and to keep up with this demand we are depleating reserves faster. It strikes me as short term thinking. The goal seems to be to make sure there will be enough long enough that those incharge won't have to worry what happens next.

Also in terms of jobs and wealth creation, green energy can give this too. People love to moan about the amount of money spent on things like wind turbines, but that money is employing people to build and maintain them. Yes, companies are making profits from them, but the the companies involved in oil and gas aren't giving it away for free. A seaside town I often visit used to be a major fishing port, now it's main trade is the building and servicing of offshore wind farms.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of job creation and meeting the needs for the country for energy that is sustainable for quite some time while we are getting renewables perfected. As for the environmental issue, I have not researched affects so I cannot say if it is a bad idea from that perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    In terms of job creation and meeting the needs for the country for energy that is sustainable for quite some time while we are getting renewables perfected. As for the environmental issue, I have not researched affects so I cannot say if it is a bad idea from that perspective.
    "The quality and quantity of the shale oil resource base outside the US is poorly understood and this remains a critical uncertainty over the potential for shale oil development." (Price Waterhouse Coopers, 2013)

Since according to this report we do not know how much shale oil is available, how do we know how long the supplies are going to last for? The report also talks about price reductions of between 25 and 40% compared to current baseline predictions, and a resultant increase in demand, which will further speed up the reduction in remaining supplies.

ReputationRep:
    I don't Fracking know.

ReputationRep:
    It's a Fracking good idea.

(Original post by bestofyou)

I think for the UK hydraulic fracturing doesn't carry the threat of increased seismic activity and therefore wouldn't hold the same weight as the argument being made in the USA. Why?

However I think it is more a problem of water safety in the UK, not to mention gas leaking into the atmosphere which can cause brain damage if exposed to it long enough.

So obviously fracking has some serious consequences on things like water. People argue this is not related to the actual drilling but from unsafe disposal of the waste water or say a truck removing the water spills it. This is not an excuse and is still classed as contamination due to fracking, regardless of whether it was the drilling or not.

I'd be sure if they decided to drill in 11 Downing St's back garden Gideon would soon begin to doubt the safety of the procedure.

What I don't understand is why in this day and age with climate change and depleting fossil fuels, why doesn't our government make renewable energy the priority? Sure, Not so Great Britain when it comes to energy may not be able to live off renewables alone, but getting to a point where 100% of energy from renewables is being used should be a target. Not only would it be better for the environment, create jobs and set an example for the rest of the world, but it would be a start move than digging a hole in the ground that can only be used 18 times (if the same as the USA).Currently, 100% is impossible. We're in line with the EU agenda for renewable energy production. Scotland is currently far ahead of the rest of the UK, 35% of it's energy in 2011 came from renewables.

Fracking may have to be used for a while to keep us afloat until we get more effective renewable energy sources, but is not preferable.

ReputationRep:
    We have a higher amount of renewables in Scotland the the rest of the UK as that's where the majority of the UKs wind turbines are being placed.. It's like standing next to Sellafield and saying that Cumbria is 100% nuclear.

Please can we stop being the place for the UKs windmills as they look horrible, aren't very useful and Mr Salmonds claims of thousands of Jobs because of them haven't materialised as the majority of them seem to be made abroad.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    'Good'.

Most renewable is too expensive and solar panels will not be at parity in the UK for at least a decade, given that people want to avoid nuclear and we are not willing to lead the way on Thorium then fracking for the next two decades or so makes sense. We should produce enough for export and then use the bounty to invest wisely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.