Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is the student/social aspect of it good?

What are the best halls in terms of proximity to amenities, the SU and gym etc?

how long does it take to go to Coventry/Birmingham from the uni?

are there any opportunities to study abroad for physics?

ReputationRep:
    Firming Warwick without visiting is like signing your own death warrant.

It's a real Marmite place.

ReputationRep:
    It's not very far from Downtown Coventry, maybe 10 minutes on a bus. For birmingham i'd say 20 minutes car tops.

ReputationRep:
    I know many people who went there and yes it is a bit in the middle of nowhere, but many of them truly loved it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    Firming Warwick without visiting is like signing your own death warrant.

It's a real Marmite place.
    How so? I'd be very interested to hear!

ReputationRep:
    You will love it here, great green campus, most people are friendly (obvs not everyone's nice but you get that everywhere), Cov's an OK city and Birmingham is a train ride away if you get bored of it Leamington (where a lot of people move after 1st year) is also a nice little town, very peaceful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I know many people who went there and yes it is a bit in the middle of nowhere, but many of them truly loved it there.
    I'm from London, so I'm looking forward to something different

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is going to be sick, *****es.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the going out side of social life isn't as good as other places, but then that depends on what you consider to be a 'good' night out - nearest big club people go to is Gatecrasher in Birmingham and that's a bit of a trek (but UniExpress sometimes run transport to get you there and back). More locally, there are loads of smaller clubs and bars in Leamington and Coventry that are great nights out - honestly some of the best nights out I've ever had have been in Kasbah (Cov) and in Leam and they are normally quite cheap, but the only thing is because Warwick is a campus roughly in the middle of nowhere you have to get taxis whenever you want to go out which can be expensive. At the Copper Rooms in the SU, POP is on every Wednesday and is normally quite busy, other than that (and Skool Dayz) the SU is crap after freshers. There are loads of societies though and in my personal opinion they are fantastic! The study side of Warwick is actually better than I hoped it would be - there's so many postgrads and research staff so you're always exposed to innovative approaches to topics.

For accommodation, gotta say (new) Rootes. Doesn't have en suite but you never have to wait for the shower, loads of mixing between floors and kitchens so everyone gets on really well. Can be a bit noisy, but it's also the closet to the SU and Costcutter (apart from maybe some of the Whitefields houses). Really though, whichever hall you choose you'll have a great time. Bluebell does have a reputation for being very quiet and antisocial (not in an asbo way, just in a more reserved way). A friend of mine moved from there to Rootes because nobody in his flat talked :') and Westwood is relatively far from central campus - a nice walk in the summer but when it's cold and rainy I can imagine it's horrible. And if you've got any lectures at Gibbet Hill campus it's reeeally far away (another friend moved from Westwood to Rootes because she couldn't get to her BioMed lectures on time!). The library and the gym are pretty much right in the middle of main campus so they're a similar distance from most halls. If you're really concerned, just go for what you can afford, but bear in mind some halls let you stay over the holidays and some need you out by 10am the day after the end of term.

You're more likely to spend your time in Leamington than Coventry or Birmingham but both Leam and Cov are about 20mins on the bus, and the train to Birmingham is very cheap

Can't comment on Physics (sorry) but I hope this is helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleEyes)
    Honestly, the going out side of social life isn't as good as other places, but then that depends on what you consider to be a 'good' night out - nearest big club people go to is Gatecrasher in Birmingham and that's a bit of a trek (but UniExpress sometimes run transport to get you there and back). More locally, there are loads of smaller clubs and bars in Leamington and Coventry that are great nights out - honestly some of the best nights out I've ever had have been in Kasbah (Cov) and in Leam and they are normally quite cheap, but the only thing is because Warwick is a campus roughly in the middle of nowhere you have to get taxis whenever you want to go out which can be expensive. At the Copper Rooms in the SU, POP is on every Wednesday and is normally quite busy, other than that (and Skool Dayz) the SU is crap after freshers. There are loads of societies though and in my personal opinion they are fantastic! The study side of Warwick is actually better than I hoped it would be - there's so many postgrads and research staff so you're always exposed to innovative approaches to topics.

For accommodation, gotta say (new) Rootes. Doesn't have en suite but you never have to wait for the shower, loads of mixing between floors and kitchens so everyone gets on really well. Can be a bit noisy, but it's also the closet to the SU and Costcutter (apart from maybe some of the Whitefields houses). Really though, whichever hall you choose you'll have a great time. Bluebell does have a reputation for being very quiet and antisocial (not in an asbo way, just in a more reserved way). A friend of mine moved from there to Rootes because nobody in his flat talked :') and Westwood is relatively far from central campus - a nice walk in the summer but when it's cold and rainy I can imagine it's horrible. And if you've got any lectures at Gibbet Hill campus it's reeeally far away (another friend moved from Westwood to Rootes because she couldn't get to her BioMed lectures on time!). The library and the gym are pretty much right in the middle of main campus so they're a similar distance from most halls. If you're really concerned, just go for what you can afford, but bear in mind some halls let you stay over the holidays and some need you out by 10am the day after the end of term.

You're more likely to spend your time in Leamington than Coventry or Birmingham but both Leam and Cov are about 20mins on the bus, and the train to Birmingham is very cheap

Can't comment on Physics (sorry) but I hope this is helpful

5* response, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazzers)
    1. Is the student/social aspect of it good?

2. What are the best halls in terms of proximity to amenities, the SU and gym etc?

3. how long does it take to go to Coventry/Birmingham from the uni?

4. are there any opportunities to study abroad for physics?
    Numbered questions and answers.

1. There has been quite a lot of discussion on this on TSR already - just search this subforum and you'll find loads. It all depends on where you come from and what you think makes a good night. There isn't a vibrant club scene, but there are a lot of very strong societies and sports clubs and most people get their social life that way.

2. Depends on what is on offer each year, I'm not up to speed on what the offering is for next year...but Tocil is right by the gym (and Claycroft is really close but I doubt that will be open to freshers), JM and AV are kind of equidistant between the SU and the gym, and Rootes and Whitefields are right behind the SU, with Bluebell just behind Rootes. Benefactors is over the other side of the SU, and Cryfield is about a 5 min walk if that from the SU. Essentially so long as you don't go for Lakeside, Heronbank, Sherbourne or Westwood you'll be pretty darn close to most things. Check out the locations on a campus map.

3. Coventry is a 15 minute bus journey. Birmingham is a short train journey from Coventry...orrr one time I got a taxi to the airport in 20 minutes, and driving into the city itself takes about 30-40 mins depending on traffic.

4. If you are doing straight Physics I thiiiink it is one of the only courses that you can't do study abroad for. But I know someone who did Erasmus who does Maths/Phys so perhaps the option is there. Ask the department.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Georgia! What do you study/what year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazzers)
    Thanks Georgia! What do you study/what year are you in?
    No probs! I'm a finalist studying Italian. (And hating my life right now because it is essay/dissertation season.)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.