Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I'm pretty much fine with Maths, excluding Statistics. How long do you recommend revising each day? I find that all you need to do with Pure, Mechanics and Further Pure is do past papers which I enjoy. But I've never really liked Stats so the motivation isn't really there. Any ideas on how to revise for Physics? Obviously doing the past papers isn't enough due to the theory side of it, which I've underestimated.

ReputationRep:
    AS or A-Level?

Either way about 4-5 hours per subject perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluxator)
    Any ideas on how to revise for Physics? Obviously doing the past papers isn't enough due to the theory side of it, which I've underestimated.
    I'm also doing Physics and have finished A2 Maths/Further so I guess I'm in a decent position to give advice. For physics, I read through the book in its entirety, and do all of the 'exam style' questions that the book gives along the way. (If you have more time do every other question too). You should get to the point here where you have no trouble answering 'calculation'-style questions, and just need no know the particulars of the theory.

Then I go through the book again, with the printed specification by my side, and make comprehensive notes, leaving nothing out - ticking off each thing from the specification as I make notes on that point. My aim here is to produce a set of notes which are as concise as possible whilst being sufficiently deep that I could learn the entire module from them alone. (I rarely refer back to them, but the process of making them is what consolidates the knowledge).

Then drill papers. I do every paper there is, including specimens, and mark myself harshly. Don't be lenient - marking harshly helps when you come back to look at your mistakes. I check the UMS conversion for each past series to see where I actually stand. I have each mark scheme printed out and annotate as I go. (Important to refer back to for the stupidly picky explanation questions). I will have done every paper a month before the exam (may not suit some people) and I do them all again closer to the time.

As for the 'how long to revise for' question, a rough estimate would be however long the above takes you x 3, since you are doing 3 subjects. I found I didn't need to do as much work for physics as for the others but that may just be me as it is my preferred subject.

(Original post by Fluxator)
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I'm pretty much fine with Maths, excluding Statistics. How long do you recommend revising each day? I find that all you need to do with Pure, Mechanics and Further Pure is do past papers which I enjoy. But I've never really liked Stats so the motivation isn't really there. Any ideas on how to revise for Physics? Obviously doing the past papers isn't enough due to the theory side of it, which I've underestimated.
    Measure your studies by progress made and not work done, not only is it more productive, but you feel like more is getting done.

As the previous poster mentioned - just blast through past papers and have your friends mark them harshly. By doing this, you'll know where you stand on the worst possible day.

Also, there's more advice here.

I hope this helps.

Darren

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.