Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bristol or Durham ?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've received conditional offers from both Bristol and Durham for a joint honours in Psychology and Philosophy which I'm so so chuffed (and shocked!) about but they're the same offer, 3 AAAs, which of course means I have to choose between the two which I'm finding really really difficult, so would really appreciate it if someone could help me choose between them?

Here's some of my personal pros and cons about the two..

Bristol
    Pros: Great city so lots more going on with things like the music scene, distance is perfect, apparently is harder to get into for Psychology than Durham although I'm not sure if this is true, it's a BSC degree so may be a little more respected psychology wise even though both courses are accredited by the BPS, great reputation for both subjects, seems to have more of a variety of people
    Cons: Accommodation seems pretty annoying with the majority of the student halls being 40 minutes away from the main university precinct, lower in the league tables than Durham

Durham
    Pros: Love the collegiate system as it seems very sociable and makes everyone get involved, reputation of the university as a whole seems great, higher in the league tables than Bristol
    Cons: Very very far away from where I live (South Wales) which may be quite inconvenient, apparently full of Oxbridge rejects which I may find a little intimidating, Durham as a city is pretty tiny compared to Bristol, doesn't seem as cosmopolitan, course is a BA not BSC

I really cannot decide! Really appreciate any help anyone could give me!

ReputationRep:
    have you visited them both? This is often the easiest way to decide which one you feel more comfortable at

ReputationRep:
    If you mean 'I have to choose between them as they want the same grades and that isnt possible/sensible for a Firm & Insurance choice' then read the advice here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices about exactly this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouiseTaylor__)
    I've received conditional offers from both Bristol and Durham for a joint honours in Psychology and Philosophy which I'm so so chuffed (and shocked!) about but they're the same offer, 3 AAAs, which of course means I have to choose between the two which I'm finding really really difficult, so would really appreciate it if someone could help me choose between them?

Here's some of my personal pros and cons about the two..

Bristol
    Pros: Great city so lots more going on with things like the music scene, distance is perfect, apparently is harder to get into for Psychology than Durham although I'm not sure if this is true, it's a BSC degree so may be a little more respected psychology wise even though both courses are accredited by the BPS, great reputation for both subjects, seems to have more of a variety of people
    Cons: Accommodation seems pretty annoying with the majority of the student halls being 40 minutes away from the main university precinct, lower in the league tables than Durham

Durham
    Pros: Love the collegiate system as it seems very sociable and makes everyone get involved, reputation of the university as a whole seems great, higher in the league tables than Bristol
    Cons: Very very far away from where I live (South Wales) which may be quite inconvenient, apparently full of Oxbridge rejects which I may find a little intimidating, Durham as a city is pretty tiny compared to Bristol, doesn't seem as cosmopolitan, course is a BA not BSC

I really cannot decide! Really appreciate any help anyone could give me!

You need to do 9 A-Levels???

Spoiler:
    Show
    Kidding. We can't make your decision for you but tbh by the sound of it you'd be happy at either of those two places, so I don't think it actually particularly matters. I think the accreditation of the course/league tables are pretty unimportant because they're both great unis so you'll have no trouble from that point of view. It's more about where you'd enjoy yourself more congrats as well!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice all I think I'm leaning towards Bristol, it's just I really don't want to regret my decision...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.