Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are you celebrating the death of Thatcher? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked to read how young people and students reacted to the death of thatcher. Smashing up shop windows , injuring police officers , throwing parties in the streets , shouting obscenities , consuming alcohol etc.

Most of you people werent even born when thatcher was in office. Regardless of whether you liked her or not it is NO EXCUSE to celebrate someones death like you have done. She was a human being.

Regardless of her politics , she was someones mother , grandmother and she leaves a grieving family behind. How would you like it if someone called your grandmother a witch ,told her to burn in hell and threw parties when she died? Whatever happened to respecting the dead?

Im 18 years old and i am ashamed of my generation and i fear for the future. And i ask why have you students reacted in this way? What do you gain out of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightfall576)
    I was shocked to read how young people and students reacted to the death of thatcher. Smashing up shop windows , injuring police officers , throwing parties in the streets , shouting obscenities , consuming alcohol etc.

Most of you people werent even born when thatcher was in office. Regardless of whether you liked her or not it is NO EXCUSE to celebrate someones death like you have done. She was a human being.

Regardless of her politics , she was someones mother , grandmother and she leaves a grieving family behind. How would you like it if someone called your grandmother a witch ,told her to burn in hell and threw parties when she died? Whatever happened to respecting the dead?

Im 18 years old and i am ashamed of my generation and i fear for the future. And i ask why have you students reacted in this way? What do you gain out of it?
    It is a minority. That is the good thing, it is only a minority (a couple of hundred who are doing this) If anything, it is something to be proud of that only a tiny amount of people are doing these vile acts. It shows that most students have a brain alongside dignity and honour.

Becareful that you do not generalise.

ReputationRep:

Exactly-she was a frail old woman when she passed away anyway

What short memories people have! Britain was on its knees when she came to power; crippled by the unions with the miners being most militant.

Isn't it also strange that when Labour were in Power the did not reverse a single Thatcher policy. They didn't re-open mines. They didn't give back school milk. They didn't embark on a council house programme."

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the majority of them know who she actually was or what she stood for, probably the same brainless retards involved in the riots.

ReputationRep:
    She was a human being.
    You're right. For the same reason, I was against celebrating the death of Bin Laden.

(Oh, in case of doubt: no, there is no sarcasm in this post.)

ReputationRep:
    Any excuse for a few cans, it's simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    After my month of mourning, I shall celebrate her long, successful, moral life. RIP Maggie.

ReputationRep:
    I am :eek:!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    I doubt the majority of them know who she actually was or what she stood for, probably the same brainless retards involved in the riots.
    Exactly this. The majority of it, especially with young people, is mindless bandwagon-jumping and sheer ignorance. Any excuse for mindless alcoholism and violence.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's disgusting that some people think it is ok to celebrate someones death. I was no fan of hers, but she was someones mum and grandmother.I think some respect should be shown, would those who did celebrate her death like it if others did that when their mum died?

Besides which I'm betting that the majority of them werent even born when she was in power.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like her politics However, a woman, a mother, has died. I think the people who justify themselves by branding her 'inhumane' and 'selfish' need to look in the mirror. It's not like they are punishing her, her poor family are the ones who are suffering.

ReputationRep:

Her family deserves it; why didn't they try to influence her to quit her dirty tricks?

ReputationRep:
    Having seen many many threads since Monday on TSR, most people who hate her do not know what state the country was in.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty ridiculous, it's not as if she was Hitler or something. And the fact that 'Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead' made it to the top of the charts is atrocious. I mean, learn to respect the dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    It's pretty ridiculous, it's not as if she was Hitler or something. And the fact that 'Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead' made it to the top of the charts is atrocious. I mean, learn to respect the dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, when I heard that about iTunes...well, I was just embarrassed really. I think it's ridiculous to say she was "awful" and equally questionable to say she was "wonderful." She did some excellent things, and some harsh/stupid things but, overall, I find her incredibly inspiring. I like Obama's quote about her 'shattering the glass ceiling.' It's true, perhaps she wasn't a feminist, but she did a lot for many people. The fact that people are so childish about her death, as if it provides some kind of relief, is really, really tiresome.

ReputationRep:

Exactly, people should show some respect, I was utterly appalled that people a similar age to me could be so horrible - weren't we taught that if you had nothing nice to say, don't say it? If you didn't like her, just be indifferent.

(Original post by the mezzil)
    It is a minority. That is the good thing, it is only a minority (a couple of hundred who are doing this) If anything, it is something to be proud of that only a tiny amount of people are doing these vile acts. It shows that most students have a brain alongside dignity and honour.

Becareful that you do not generalise.
    I don't find this argument particularly convincing - it's like saying that it's okay that a few Muslims are terrorists, because it's only a small proportion of them, we should be proud that so few Muslims are terrorists. It offers little consolation to the victims. Terrorism is inexcusable as is partying at the passing of an elderly lady.

(Original post by a729)
    Exactly-she was a frail old woman when she passed away anyway

What short memories people have! Britain was on its knees when she came to power; crippled by the unions with the miners being most militant.

Isn't it also strange that when Labour were in Power the did not reverse a single Thatcher policy. They didn't re-open mines. They didn't give back school milk. They didn't embark on a council house programme."
    Good point about Labour - if what she did was so detrimental to the country, they had years to 'put it right' in their opinion, but oh how History has repeated itself - look what was left to clean up in 2010!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyHaha)
    Exactly, people should show some respect, I was utterly appalled that people a similar age to me could be so horrible - weren't we taught that if you had nothing nice to say, don't say it? If you didn't like her, just be indifferent.

I don't find this argument particularly convincing - it's like saying that it's okay that a few Muslims are terrorists, because it's only a small proportion of them, we should be proud that so few Muslims are terrorists. It offers little consolation to the victims. Terrorism is inexcusable as is partying at the passing of an elderly lady.

Good point about Labour - if what she did was so detrimental to the country, they had years to 'put it right' in their opinion, but oh how History has repeated itself - look what was left to clean up in 2010!
    I'm not condoning it, i am just putting out that it is only a few hundred students, out of the many hundreds of thousands there is. The OP needs to make sure she doesn't tarnish all students with the same brush, the same way you shouldn't tarnish all muslims as the same.

ReputationRep:

Because certain types of people feel that they need to rebel and protest, 99 times out of a 100 they really don't know what they're rebelling or protesting about. It's a phase.

When you're even getting people like Martin McGuiness and Sid Vicious saying it's out of order celebrating her death you know you're acting like a tube.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of dumb people who think by not sanctioning South Africa during apartheid or by calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist, despite his involvement in bombings, years before he became an archetypal symbol of black rights, which I'm all for equal rights, then she must clearly hate black people and support apartheid. It's ****ing ridiculous, read up on the history or don't ****ing comment on it. Last thing we need is dumb people becoming the voice.

She's the world's most scape-goated leader ever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.