Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my college lecturer asking if she would write my reference and she said she wouldn't have a problem doing it. However she said "I will have to be honest and say that you haven't done great in your prelim and that you're attendance isn't great".

Now when i was in school last year, my guidance teacher wrote the reference and just didn't mention any bad things so I thought that was what every referee did.

I'm really p****d off and worried about this. How will it affect my chances of getting into uni?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot probably. Referees have one duty only - to tell the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balotelli12)
    Quite a lot probably. Referees have one duty only - to tell the truth.
    Yeah, because a reference is a legal document whereby UCAS or any future employer will look at what others have said aboutyou which can be based on you college/school ....

Do you ever get to see your reference ?

ReputationRep:
    UCAS have to let you have a copy if you request it for which you pay a fee. The referee is under no obligation to let you see it.

ReputationRep:
    UCAS have to let you have a copy if you request it for which you pay a fee. The referee is under no obligation to let you see it.
    I requested a copy of my UCAS and there was no reference, just my own personal statement and grades.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by EagleWing)
    I requested a copy of my UCAS and there was no reference, just my own personal statement and grades.
    You have to pay £10 for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You have to pay £10 for it
    I payed £15 :/

ReputationRep:
    You didn't ask for a copy of the reference. If you did they HAVE to let you have it for a fee.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't ask for a copy of the reference. If you did they HAVE to let you have it for a fee.
    Hmm, I will ring them up and ask why the reference is missing. I'm interested to know what was written about me. Or maybe ignorance is bliss xD

ReputationRep:
    if you've got a job, surely you could ask them to write a reference? I'm not sure though, you'd have to ask someone who knows the ins and outs of UCAS .
    But yes, a bad reference won't help you much.. unless you've written an amazing statement with amazing grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.