The Student Room Group

Is a macbook better for engineering

I'm planning on getting a new laptop to go to university and was wondering how much i'll use it as a civil engineering student and whether a macbook is better than any other laptop or visa versa. Any advise?
Reply 1
Original post by MathsGeek95
I'm planning on getting a new laptop to go to university and was wondering how much i'll use it as a civil engineering student and whether a macbook is better than any other laptop or visa versa. Any advise?

you dont need a really expensive fancy laptop just a general one but obviously one thats still fairly good. Most of the software for your course will be in computer suites and labs and supplied by your university so you wont need to use your laptop much in terms of that. I got one yday (Acer with windows 8) that was £499 it had a 1TB HDD and 8 GB ram it was a gaming laptop on offer, but its decent and will be more than enough for any browsing or work that i'll do at uni :tongue:.
Reply 2

Mac's are essentially designing laptops and so you'd probably think they make the programs easier to use. That being said, engineering software is available for both Mac and Windows and so in that sense you can still design something on a PC that you'd be able to design on a Mac.

But MacBooks are awesome anyway. So if you can afford to, buy one. Just don't scrap around for cash or take out a loan just for the purpose of running engineering programs. And as a10 has just mentioned, you'll be doing your designing etc in labs and computer suites, so you won't be expected to have a super-duper laptop when you show up.
(edited 11 years ago)

I only use my laptop for checking my emails and personal stuff. For my course I use pencil and paper for most of my work but with big projects coming up in the next two years I will be using more matlab and latec on my own computer, I assume you can use both of those on macs but haven't personally looken into it as I don't own one. :smile:
Reply 4
Most of the software you use will be on campus because it's ridiculously expensive. There are some pieces which are Windows compatible only.

The only thing I use my laptop for, academically, is writing reports on Word. Occasionally I use it with Sketchup and similar freeware CAD packages to quickly sketch things, but it's no good for the real heavy lifting operations required.

I'd save the money, get a Windows laptop (mine was £300) and use the rest of your money paying towards bills or saving it to put as a deposit on your accommodation for the second year. You could just add it to your food budget or keep it in your savings. I really see no major benefit to owning a Mac at the best of times, let alone for this.

Quick Reply

Latest