The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Starting in Sept 2013

So i'm hopefully starting at Abertay in Sept 2013. I'm studying Psychology. But i'm from Northern Ireland and none of my friends are even going to university in Scotland. Someone please tell me i am not the only one? Are any of you guys in the same boat? lol I'm starting to get really nervous now.

Holly

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello there!

Though I am not from Northern Ireland, I can say I am in the same boat for sure :smile: .
I am from Italy, and none of my friends are going to study in Scotland as well.
I did not apply for Psychology by the way (I applied for CGT), but regarding being initially "alone" yeah, I will be in the same situation as you :biggrin: .
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 2
I've heard of a few from Northern Ireland starting this year, myself included (not for the same course as yourself though). Don't have any friends from over here doing the same so pretty much the same situation but lucky enough to know a few people at Abertay already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
wow Italy, your coming a long way :biggrin:

I literally know one girl who will be going into her second year, but we're not like particularly good friends or anything

Are you guys planning on living in halls in september?
Reply 4
I'm coming from down in the south west of England although again not for your course.
Reply 5
Original post by Holly781

I literally know one girl who will be going into her second year, but we're not like particularly good friends or anything

Yep, everyone is saying to me that it's a good idea to stay in halls for the first year to get to know people etc. Looking into staying at Opal as it's one of the few right by the city center, is a bit pricier than some others though.

Just waiting for accommodation applications to open up some time this month so I can get it all booked asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Yep, I know, but I really like Scotland and that course :biggrin: .

I see, I too have got in touch with some people there, though I don't really know them.

Yes, I am looking to stay at Opal since it is very close to the Uni and to the city center too. I have visited those halls once, and they looked very nice.
What about you?
Reply 7
Original post by Snowzurfer
Yep, I know, but I really like Scotland and that course :biggrin: .

I see, I too have got in touch with some people there, though I don't really know them.

Yes, I am looking to stay at Opal since it is very close to the Uni and to the city center too. I have visited those halls once, and they looked very nice.
What about you?

I think I'm going to stay at Opal, too. My brother lived there in his first 2 years and they are pretty nice.
Reply 8
Original post by JMcB
Yep, everyone is saying to me that it's a good idea to stay in halls for the first year to get to know people etc. Looking into staying at Opal as it's one of the few right by the city center, is a bit pricier than some others though.

Just waiting for accommodation applications to open up some time this month so I can get it all booked asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'v been told the exact same thing about living in halls. I had worried about how expensive it is but i think it'll be worth it. Plus i haven't heard great things about Alloway. I haven't seen any of them yet but i'm visiting the university in June.

Is there an actual set date for when accommodation applications open or do you just have to keep an eye out?
Reply 9
Yeah I'v been told the exact same thing about living in halls. I had worried about how expensive it is but i think it'll be worth it. Plus i haven't heard great things about Alloway. I haven't seen any of them yet but i'm visiting the university in June.

Is there an actual set date for when accommodation applications open or do you just have to keep an eye out?

I've actually stayed a few nights in alloway when a friend was at Abertay, it didn't seem that bad, not as bad as I've heard people make it out to be. I'm guessing just a few people had a bad time and are just being extra vocal about it. I'd definitely consider Alloway if I could but I'm a couple of years too old.

No set date for accommodation, they said April on the site and said "The Residences App for 2013-14 is not quite ready to go live yet but will be in the very near future. Watch this space for up to date info." 5 days ago so should be happening sometime in the next couple of weeks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by JMcB
I've actually stayed a few nights in alloway when a friend was at Abertay, it didn't seem that bad, not as bad as I've heard people make it out to be. I'm guessing just a few people had a bad time and are just being extra vocal about it. I'd definitely consider Alloway if I could but I'm a couple of years too old.

No set date for accommodation, they said April on the site and said "The Residences App for 2013-14 is not quite ready to go live yet but will be in the very near future. Watch this space for up to date info." 5 days ago so should be happening sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I'm literally going by hear say so you very well may be right :smile:. I considered it for a while but it's just a wee bit to far away from the city centre. Thanks. I had been wondering and obviously i want to get in there right away when it opens so I'm going to have to really keep an eye!
Hi, I'm probably coming to Dundee to study Criminological Studies. I'm from Germany so it's not exactly around the corner and I don't know anyone as well. I reckon I'm going to stay at a privately let flat, though, I never really fancied student accommodation. Good thing that Dundee's quite a bit cheaper than Edinburgh, then.
Reply 12
Hey! I'm from NI too, going to be doing Ethical Hacking. I'm hoping to get into the Opal halls as well checking like every day to see if the application is online yet and also hoping a few more Northern Irish people are going to be going to Abertay haha
Reply 13
[QUOTE="Snake2468;42355616"]Hey! I'm from NI too, going to be doing Ethical Hacking. I'm hoping to get into the Opal halls as well checking like every day to see if the application is online yet and also hoping a few more Northern Irish people are going to be going to Abertay haha[/QUOTE

Yay another Northern Irish person :biggrin: here's to hoping there will be more of us. My offers conditional so i can't apply for accommodation until August which seriously stresses me out haha.
Reply 14
I'm getting really stressed out with the accommodation application situation >.<
Hey, I'm from the very north of Scotland (John O Groats, if you've heard of there!) and I'll hopefully be studying Business at Abertay. If not I'll be going to Dundee college so either way, I'll be alone in Dundee too! I visited Opal halls and loved them although I've heard some pretty bad things and read dodgy reviews. I'm going to be staying at the Hub which is cheaper and looks nicer, I recommend it to everyone!
Reply 16
Original post by OedipusRex
I'm getting really stressed out with the accommodation application situation >.<

Do you have an unconditional firm? Because otherwise, even if the application was online, you could not book a room. I am in that situation until July...
If yes, then it's great for you! :biggrin:
Reply 17
So i'm hopefully starting at Abertay in Sept 2013. I'm studying Psychology. But i'm from Northern Ireland and none of my friends are even going to university in Scotland. Someone please tell me i am not the only one? Are any of you guys in the same boat? lol I'm starting to get really nervous now.

Holly

You wont be alone cause im from Ballymoney lol! wooo up n.i :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by phil-1994
You wont be alone cause im from Ballymoney lol! wooo up n.i :biggrin:

haha I'm from Coleraine :biggrin: what are you studying?
Reply 19
Criminology :biggrin: you?

Quick Reply

Latest