Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel really helpless and I don't know if I am meant to suck it up? Watch

My mum is not one for comfort - she tells me to 'suck it up' 'grow up'.
    Which is do appreciate, it really helps if you are in a mope.

But the truth is I dunno if what I am going through is normal, is it my health?

I would be too embarrassed of my mum telling me I am pathetic if I am being silly but I feel so helpless.

One day I was in physics and I had the weird feeling I get and it got so unbearable I thought the air was going to crush my skull,
    so I just left the classroom and went to the doctors.

I didn't say much to her but I explained my constant crying (especially when everyone is asleep) but I already felt stupid so I left it there.

She was quite nice and said that I should try counselling so I did this test thing and then I got this leaflet in the mail and it had loads of numbers on for me to call and book it.... it said I had 4 weeks to reply or I would be referred back to my doctor...
    I didn't know what to do, I was too scared to call, I didn't know if I could go.
    SO I left it.

I couldn't ever tell my mum, she would laugh.

Should I go to doctors again?
    How do you tell if you are ill or being pathetic?

I feel on the edge and I did something silly last night and drunk all the vodka in my sisters cupboard and tried to climb off the bridge, I don't think I would of done it if I wasn't drunk, but it felt good.

When is it not normal?

Please.
    I really don't know if this is illness or me being pathetic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please.
    I really don't know if this is illness or me being pathetic?

Erm I think climbing off a bridge is past what I'd consider to be normal, but that's just my opinion :/

My advise would be to go see the doctor you visited last time, and tell them what happened.
    Feel free to pm to as well, I've kinda been in your situation before

ReputationRep:
    It's not weakness to need help sometimes. Go back to your doctor or see a counsellor (I don't know if there's one at your school/university?). Ask someone for help and you don't even need to let your mum know if she's just going to make it worse for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.