Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being a military musician has always been the number 1 job on my list. But in today's society where going to university is the norm makes me question two things

1.is it a good career choice to last a life time of employment.

2.can and where would you move to after doing your service.

3.is the salary enough to comfortably live off.

I'd love to hear anyone's opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to do the same sadly i'm not a good enough musician.

I think it's a good job for a musician as most musicians aren't sure where the next pay check is coming from however, you'll get a pay check every month.

They pay for your training- that means you don't clock up 27 grand student tuition loan.

I think the Army still has that 'university social atmosphere', what i'm guessing you'll still go out on nights out, have a common room while training and make friends for life. My friend is in the army and he's always partying, playing football and taking pictures of him and his squad in fancy dress

3. is the salary enough to comfortably live off.

Well, that's personal opinion, it's about the same as any other musician/music teacher. You'll also get to travel with the army to many countries that you might not of visited other wise.

Maybe you should pop down to your local army careers office
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Have a look at the RN, Army & RAF websites. All still have bands and information is on there as to locations, salary etc. There are a lot less bandsmen than there were and I would expect less in the future. Nothing is a job for life any more either. They are all excellent musicians, Grade 8+ and a few with music degrees (that I've met) and not very many are recruited any more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.