Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Not been on here in a while, but remembered the forum's were great for opinions!

I'm having some travel trauma, I've just booked to go with Virgin Atlantic to Dubai and see the aircraft is an A340-300... Does anyone have any experience with this plane type? I see it has not got the best reviews...! I went with Virgin a couple of years ago, and it was an A340-600 which I understand is much newer.

HELP!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    On the A340-600 the IFE is on-demand whereas on the A340-300 it's done on a loop with a smaller screen (On one A340-300 there is the newer system so fingers crossed you will get that particular aircraft)

ReputationRep:
    You can pretty much guarantee that the IFE will be better on the A346. However I'm such a lightweight that I'd be more than content with the looping of the A343. You still get there in the end!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. OP asked about the plane and the first 2 replies are about the TV system if I got that right? Surely there's more to a plane than the TV and films available on it?!?!?!?!

I went years ago on the A340-300 to Dubai and it was very nice. Comfortable seats and they had cartoons lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I don't understand. OP asked about the plane and the first 2 replies are about the TV system if I got that right? Surely there's more to a plane than the TV and films available on it?!?!?!?!
    That's because unless the OP is fixated with dimensions (the A346 is slightly bigger), then there's no difference bar the IFE :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    That's because unless the OP is fixated with dimensions (the A346 is slightly bigger), then there's no difference bar the IFE :p:
    She said she has "travel trauma" and that the A343 has worse reviews.

She was looking for reassurance that it is a safe plane I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    In terms of capacity, it's about a third bigger, but from a passenger's perspective the biggest difference between most A343s and A346s will be the fact that the majority of A346s are far newer (mostly because the A346s didn't come around until the A343s were well established in the market).

The A343 is pretty nice though purely comfort wise. I wouldn't worry too much though, LHR to DXB is barely a long-haul flight and plenty of airlines are operating only slightly shorter flights in B737s and A32Xs (which aren't anywhere near as comfortable) so I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: If you're worried they're not 'safe' don't be. The A340 is an incredible aircraft and never been involved in a fatal accident on any passenger flight - if you want proof they're very well put together have a read about AF358 (although probably not advisable if reading about an aircraft crash will freak you out prior to flying).

ReputationRep:
    If you're flying with virgin the main difference between the -300 and -600 that you'll notice is the IFE, out of their 4 A340-300 only one has the newer system and the other three have the old loop system as someone else mentioned. But London-Dubai is only a short flight and its over night so shouldn't really bother you too much

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies all, I am more concerned about the difference in service in Upper Class between the A346 and the A343 (Miles upgrade) and the safety of the older plane! The IFE I can deal with, via iPad and movies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lhrdxb)
    Thanks for the replies all, I am more concerned about the difference in service in Upper Class between the A346 and the A343 (Miles upgrade) and the safety of the older plane! The IFE I can deal with, via iPad and movies
    Even 50 year old planes are safe. Flying is a lot safer then driving, and I doubt you question the ncap rating every time you get it a car. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    In terms of capacity, it's about a third bigger, but from a passenger's perspective the biggest difference between most A343s and A346s will be the fact that the majority of A346s are far newer (mostly because the A346s didn't come around until the A343s were well established in the market).

The A343 is pretty nice though purely comfort wise. I wouldn't worry too much though, LHR to DXB is barely a long-haul flight and plenty of airlines are operating only slightly shorter flights in B737s and A32Xs (which aren't anywhere near as comfortable) so I wouldn't worry.

EDIT: If you're worried they're not 'safe' don't be. The A340 is an incredible aircraft and never been involved in a fatal accident on any passenger flight - if you want proof they're very well put together have a read about AF358 (although probably not advisable if reading about an aircraft crash will freak you out prior to flying).
    I flew with Swiss airlines at the weekend and flicking through their magazine I noticed that they have A330s and A343s. They have little scale pictures of their fleet, and the two are about the same in dimensions. Aware though that the A330 is far newer and I later found out that they're replacing their A340s with B777s (I think the -300).

Funny though, because in terms of up-to-dateness, getting an A343 LHR-DXB is a short straw, as they mostly have A380s and B773s doing that right now, ie far newer aircraft! Obviously there's no question about the safety of any aircraft departing or landing anywhere in the EU, let alone the A343. I'd in fact be thrilled to ride on any MD aircraft (most are about 20 plus years old) quite simply because I've never been on one before.

ReputationRep:
    It sucks, small and cramped and seems rather dated -_- id have gone with the emirates service the a380 is far nicer to fly in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    It sucks, small and cramped and seems rather dated -_- id have gone with the emirates service the a380 is far nicer to fly in
    I'd love to have flown on the EK A380, but alas my 0000's of miles were with VS, so was hoping for the A346

I'm sure it will be fine... Bring on the beach!

ReputationRep:
    Where you staying in Dubai? Or where about's roughly?

Dubai Marina/JLT/Jumeirah are the best places. I can give you some good tips for Dubai if you need any!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homeboy Hotel)
    Where you staying in Dubai? Or where about's roughly?

Dubai Marina/JLT/Jumeirah are the best places. I can give you some good tips for Dubai if you need any!
    Thanks!

I'm staying at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel! I've been a few times, and the JBH keeps coming up top!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by lhrdxb)
    Upper's very nice on Dubai flights - though it's the larger cabin (40 or so seats). Service will be excellent, as ever (my missus is cabin crew for them ) Get a seat on the window side of the plane, if possible, rather than the central aisle. Slightly more room to stretch out.

IFE has been upgraded across Virgin's entire fleet now - the old loop-based systems are all gone. Your flight should be the on-demand system, though probably not yet the new touchscreen set-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Upper's very nice on Dubai flights - though it's the larger cabin (40 or so seats). Service will be excellent, as ever (my missus is cabin crew for them ) Get a seat on the window side of the plane, if possible, rather than the central aisle. Slightly more room to stretch out.

IFE has been upgraded across Virgin's entire fleet now - the old loop-based systems are all gone. Your flight should be the on-demand system, though probably not yet the new touchscreen set-up.
    This is great news Shooks! You're a star!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.