Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I'm on a contract with Orange. I've had my phone just over 4 years and up till now its worked fine- its the one what I got when I opened the contract. But now I can make and recieve calls, but have no sound when doing either. The people on the other end can hear me, but I can't hear them.

My parents still pay for my phone (yes, I know, I should really pay for it now blah blah blah) so I'm not too certain of all the details etc.

Anyway, where do I stand? I haven't had any upgrade at all during these 4 years. I'm really busy with uni work atm so don't have too much time to be chasing all over town trying to sort it out. If I just go into an Orange shop (now EE??) and explain my problem are they likely to just give me a new phone?

In addition, I'm sure my phone costs my parents way more than I actually use it. I used to be on a £30 per month contract but this may well have changed over the 4 years of the contract. I never ever use the internet and mostly sent a couple of texts a day/week and occassionally make short calls. So again, how difficult would it be to either get out of the contract or have it made cheaper??

Sorry, lots of questions, I know. Thanks for any help given.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are wasting a hell of a lot of money on that contract. If you only send a couple of texts a week you're much better off on pay as you go. With Orange, Giffgaff and probably others you still get a few hundred free texts and data every time you top up anyway*, at your current rate of usage you will probably last three months on one £10 top-up.

*usually for e.g. 1 month after top-up then expires

ReputationRep:
    Or.....get a £7.50 contract and then avoid having to pay for a phone as well! All the free texts and stuff you get only last for a month, so you'd have to pay £10pm doing that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    OP needs to go to an EE shop, with the person whose name the contract actually is in

if you've been on a contract for 4 years without a new phone they'll almost certainly be able to sort you a new handset to walk out with ( assuming they have the physical stock to do it)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.