Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I applied for 5 courses when UCAS opened for applications. Before Christmas I was offered a place on a course that was one of my first choices. Since it had no conditions to the offer, I accepted it and applied for finance etc.

    Recently I have received note from the college that the course they offered and I accepted is not going ahead for at least another year. They told UCAS they had withdrawn the offer and now UCAS have completely withdrawn my application. I contacted them and informed them that the college cancelled their course and I did not want my application cancelled as I wish to apply to another college, they said I had to contact the college and ask them to call UCAS to reinstate my application. This is what I have done, three times now and UCAS say they still have no contact from the college for an update on my withdrawn application.

    I am beginning to panic a little now as I have no idea how I can keep asking the college to reinstate my application. Has anyone else been through similar? What can I do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    UCAS are right that they can only do this with the college's contact.

    Who have you been contacting at the college? do you have records of who you've spoken to and what they have promised (see my sig for details on what to note down when you phone UCAS or Universities)? Also in your case it is best to ask whoever you speak to to follow up the phone call with confirmation that they will contact UCAS by email.

    Ringing back again and asking for these details MIGHT be enough to get the college to sort themselves out. If not then at least you know who you've spoken to so when you ring back next week you can ask to speak to their boss and actually make a proper complaint and get things sorted ASAP.

    Phone the University and ask to the speak to the main Undergrad Admissions office - not the Dept. Ask to speak to the most senior person there. You will have to be very polite but very firm! Do not get fobbed off with whoever just happens to answer the phone. Stick to your request to talk to someone senior and just stay on the phone until that is what you get.

    Make sure you ask for that person's name and job title - write it down. Then explain calmly and politely that that person must now ring UCAS on your behalf and explain that it is a cancelled course and not a cancelled application. Make sure they understand that they have to do this as soon they have finished speaking to you - not tomorrow.
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.