Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    why can CH3CH2NH2 not be formed from when CH3I is heated in excess in a sealed tube with alcoholic ammonia?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    this is an exam question on edexcel AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    this is an exam question on edexcel AS
    OK, lets see,

MeI + alcoholic NH3 ---> Me-NH2

compare the ability of NH3 vs. MeNH2 as a nucleophile. Which one is a better nucleophile?

A nucleophile attacks an electrophilic species, i.e. richer in electron density due to the inductive ability of Me (or any generic alkyl groups) will increase electron density around N of the amine - hence in terms of increasing nucleophilicity,

NH3 < MeNH2 < Me2NH < Me3N

Hence, once MeNH2 is produced, you have more MeI in your reacting system,

MeNH2 + MeI ---> Me2NH

Me2NH + MeI ---> Me3N

etc. can also form quarternary ion; cf ammonium like ion, but
    NMe4+ I- species

Hope that is all clear now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    OK, lets see,

MeI + alcoholic NH3 ---> Me-NH2

compare the ability of NH3 vs. MeNH2 as a nucleophile. Which one is a better nucleophile?

A nucleophile attacks an electrophilic species, i.e. richer in electron density due to the inductive ability of Me (or any generic alkyl groups) will increase electron density around N of the amine - hence in terms of increasing nucleophilicity,

NH3 < MeNH2 < Me2NH < Me3N

Hence, once MeNH2 is produced, you have more MeI in your reacting system,

MeNH2 + MeI ---> Me2NH

Me2NH + MeI ---> Me3N

etc. can also form quarternary ion; cf ammonium like ion, but
    NMe4+ I- species

Hope that is all clear now.
    Wow, that's great! Thanks

Seems quite advanced for ASlevel, though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Wow, that's great! Thanks

Seems quite advanced for ASlevel, though..
    it is not really; it is about what you understand about nucleophilicity of amine group as how good is the electron donating ability of the lone pair of nitrogen.

also, inductive effect of methyl groups also explain why tertiary carbocation is more stable than secondary than primary (you'd come across this in a level at some point if you haven't)

also, then, it is about understanding reaction dynamics as a whole and not just as discrete as what we usually write on paper (i.e. representing MeI + NH3 forming MeNH2 does not mean all the MeI is used up in that one go; what happens is say, you make one MeNH2 but there are more MeI lying around, etc, you get me...)

:confused: don't be!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.