Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever been pickpocketed by an east european gypsy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Incidences seem to be increasing and increasing, thanks to the EU...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22098102

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you get it all the time where I live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim2341)
    Incidences seem to be increasing and increasing, thanks to the EU...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22098102
    Perhaps you could explain your title in relation to the article that you linked?

ReputationRep:
    If I've been pickpocketed how am I supposed to know what nationality they were? Pickpockets don't tend to stick around to show you what they look like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    If I've been pickpocketed how am I supposed to know what nationality they were? Pickpockets don't tend to stick around to show you what they look like.

The east europeans numerically the majority are romanians, they have a distinct look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Perhaps you could explain your title in relation to the article that you linked?

that they're rife in europe and in london, but you'll change your tune when it happens to you.

ReputationRep:
    My mum had her purse stolen in Prague. Unfortunately, since we only noticed it was stolen about 2 hours or so after it happened, we did not have time to question the thief about his ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    that they're rife in europe and in london, but you'll change your tune when it happens to you.
    How will I change my tune

My question is .... how does your thread title relate to that article

How have you made the leap to identify a specific ethnic group not mentioned in the article

I have no argument that pick pockets are indeed rife in big cities

I do not know the demographics of pick pockets

However, the article makes no mention of any specific group

ReputationRep:
    I've had someone try to pickpocket me once. And it was my bag, rather than my pocket. A bag that contained an empty presentation folder and a packet of chewing gum with one piece left. Nothing else. I don't imagine he's managed to create a criminal empire from the proceeds of his work if targeting that bag says anything about his scouting method.

I never found out what nationality he was, just a very generic-looking young man who ran away when I noticed him. Taking an average of the criminal population near me, he was probably from east Hull.

ReputationRep:
    The east europeans numerically the majority are romanians, they have a distinct look.
    So this is really just another immigration thread?

Well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    So this is really just another immigration thread?

Well done.
    And not even a very good one since he seems to be implying that the problem is in Paris

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was pick pocketed while seeing chase and status, got my phone back after the police called me. Turns out the group of middle eastern guys had 18 phones and later on admitted to pickpocketing and human trafficking. One guys name took up about half the line, I couldn't pronounce any of them :P but hey, they're serving there time and I got to meet them face to face.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an eastern european girl who had her phone stolen by some English guys. Holy **** didn't expect that one did you? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    And not even a very good one since he seems to be implying that the problem is in Paris
    I guess any bad publicity about Romanians will do :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I guess any bad publicity about Romanians will do :rolleyes:
    Apart from that article does not even mention an ethnic group

The OP seems a bit desperate tbh

You mean there are pickpockets in areas frequented by tourists?

Holy ****, Panorama should do a show on this!

ReputationRep:
    This is some pretty niche stuff.

ReputationRep:
    one of them stole my nutella

ReputationRep:
    :O pickpocketing by specific ethnic groups! We must alert immigration at once!!

ReputationRep:
    Apart from that article does not even mention an ethnic group

The OP seems a bit desperate tbh
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...of-Louvre.html
    http://www.express.co.uk/comment/exp...their-way-here
    http://meebal.com/romanian-children-...uvre-to-close/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-gallery.html

Of course I made sure that only the most high quality news outlets were included......

(Original post by PDM.)
    one of them stole my nutella

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.