The Student Room Group

How far away did you move to go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

I only went from London to Brighton, takes me about 3 hours door to door. I really like living this close tbh, I didn't realise how much I'd miss home until I left aha. I don't think I would've been happy at a much further away university, I tend to go home every 3 or so weekends.
I moved 290 miles away (from Rhondda Cynon Taf to York).
Reply 22
Moving from Essex to Huddersfield in September, just over 4 hours in the car

Posted from TSR Mobile
100 miles roughly I'll be moving in September from Maidstone in Kent to Bedford. About 2 hours and 15 minute journey. Not too far from home as I want to be able to visit my boyfriend and him be able to visit me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
In September will be: 2,907 km or 1806 miles from where I live now.
Reply 25
Moving from Hertfordshire to Exeter it is 3-4 hours by driving. i take the bus and my family pick me up from the bus station when going to my family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
15000 miles, i live in mauritius. I kinda don't have the choice :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
If I work hard enough, it will be Bedfordshire to Durham, so a 5 hour drive :frown:.

Hopefully I can leave stuff in my room over the winter and easter breaks so I can come back by train, < 3 hours to kings cross is not bad at all!
I live in Birmingham and I'm hoping to go to Bangor. It's about a 3 hour drive and about 4 hours on the train (but quite cheap). Not sure how many miles it is but with the cost it's going to be fairly easy to get home.
I went about 150 miles (2.5 hour drive). I think that was about the right kind of distance - it's far enough away that I won't be tempted to drop home every five minutes, but still close enough that I can get back relatively easily if the need should arise for whatever reason.
50 miles, but it took an hour and a half by train and car. Going from west to east/east to west in this country is so difficult. I only went home once during term time and that was for a friend's birthday so I wouldn't have minded being further away. I don't think this distance matters much at all, although I never understood the people who went to the local university and stayed in halls. If you're going to pay all the extra money that living away costs, you might as well explore a different city.
I only live a half hour train journey away from home, however with buses to the train station etc it's about an hour and a half door to door. I picked my uni in spite of its location, not because of it. Commuting would be an absolute pain, so much easier being within walking distance. If I'm willing to pay for halls to get the full uni experience, who are you to judged me?

I tend to go home probably twice a term. It's good because I can get home very quickly if I need a quick visit, and if I have something on on the Friday night I can pop home on the Saturday morning with no difficulty. Also on the Sunday my parents give me a lift back home meaning I can bring food they have bought me meaning I save da monies. And when I lost my bank card my dad was able to come up the road and bring me some emergency cash.

Overall I wouldn't say living close to uni has hindered my uni experience at all, my parents respect my independence and the such. That's not to say that, if I were to go back and do the UCAS experience again I would necessarily pick the same uni. I do sometimes wish I'd gone for something a bit different rather than a city I already know pretty well.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I never wanted to move away from home....but im going to belfast...1 hour flight from home :frown:
350 miles!!! couldn't have gone much further without ending up on the continent! I have just had my gap year in New Zealand though, so don't think the distance from home will be much of a bother.
i live a couple of hours away, it's a pretty good distance as it's not too close to home but i can easily visit if i want to. :smile:
Reply 35
3hrs by train, will be 650 miles though when i'll start my masters...

It always has it's good and bad sides. I'm very close to my family but it was actually quite good to live so far away from them. You have to start living your own life eventually and by moving far away this will be easier. You'll have to solve your own problems and be way more independent. And you can always call or skype your family when you miss them too much. :smile:

Wish you the best of luck! :smile:
About 100 miles, from the High Wycombe area to Bath.

I think it's quite a good distance - I barely go home to be honest, but it's close enough that my parents can come and visit me every month or so.
I stayed quite close to home- about an hour's drive. It's quite handy because I have a job in my hometown so I can go back at weekends for that, which saves any hassle trying to find jobs just for term-time or just for summer break. I'd prefer to be further away or to at least come home less often since there's more to do at uni, but my mum doesn't like being in the house alone all the time and it wouldn't really be fair to expect her to do all the housework, bill-paying, visiting relatives etc. so I come home when I can to help out a bit.
I will be moving 466 miles to go to uni :smile:
From the Netherlands to Newcastle. But I don't think I'll mind the distance that much: it'll be a whole new adventure!
199.5 miles exactly :biggrin:

Next year (Year abroad), at the moment it's only an additional 77 miles than what it is to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest