Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to take a level philosophy however I just looked at the exam results for philosophy at the college I intend to go to and it appears no one achieved an A*. This college is the top college in my area so I'm worried that a level philosophy is really hard (compared to others). Does anyone know if this could just be at this particular college or if it actually is a significantly hard a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckySheppard)
    I'm looking to take a level philosophy however I just looked at the exam results for philosophy at the college I intend to go to and it appears no one achieved an A*. This college is the top college in my area so I'm worried that a level philosophy is really hard (compared to others). Does anyone know if this could just be at this particular college or if it actually is a significantly hard a level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't believe philosophy is particularly difficult at A-Level

ReputationRep:
    Do you take it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My College is also one of the top in my community, but the highest grade achieved in the recent AS exam was B. I was also predicted a high B/A and got a D. Not wanting to dissuade you from taking this subject, as I really do love it, but I would say you do need to work pretty hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckySheppard)
    Do you take it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No but several of my friends do, they are yet to take the exams but they're predicted fairly highly. . . I know that lots of people got an A at AS last year.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...rs-857643.html
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0160314AAfNdx9
    Not sure how valid these are, but philosophy doesn't feature.

ReputationRep:
    AQA Philosophy marking is...dodgy at best. It's a relatively new A-Level subject, with all the teachers marking it having different interpretations of the material. The marking's really subjective - in remarks people who have gotten Es get As, in class people predicted Ds get As while those predicted As get Ds...

Nevertheless, it's a brilliant subject to take if you have the curiosity. Go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is actually really hard to get a good grade and i do take it...thou i am getting a's and b's it is really really hard but its really worth it IMHO
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    It annoys me how that first person said it's not difficult but yet they ddo not take it? Don't comment if you haven't experienced it first hand!

I'm taking it now and to be honest I've checked both OCR (I do OCR) and AQA and AQA looks easier from how I see it to be honest. in my school which is the 3rd best Sixth Form in Birmingham (look on league tables) and have amazing teachers, but you just have to apply yourself with this subject. Last year, no one got higher than a B. 3 people got As, 2 people got B and the rest got C's and others got Us and dropped the subject.

I'm predicted a D even though I've been getting Cs. But tbf, I'm happy with a D because I startedd the course in Noevember after dropping Sociology, and do plan to take it further with A2. But I thoroughly enjoy it, so I think that's all that matters to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    You know you've passed Philosophy when you can become a pizza man and still use philosophy

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.