Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for a keyboard that has backlit keys and USB ports (like the Apple ones do) that don't cost crazy money, does anyone know where I can buy one?

I won't be using it for gaming or anything like that, just normal use.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    I am looking for a keyboard that has backlit keys and USB ports (like the Apple ones do) that don't cost crazy money, does anyone know where I can buy one?

I won't be using it for gaming or anything like that, just normal use.

Thanks for any help
    Yes they do exist....... the backlit thing exists mainly for the gaming keyboard market and can be picked up from under £20 from decent makers. The issue is the USB ports, remember the keyboard has to be a corded keyboard, the cheapest I have found is under £50 so far the Gigabyte K8100. You could find them cheaper, I tried, but its a lot of effort, as you got to check the pictures/manual to look for the usb ports.
    Also theres this but not sure on the usb ports, heard there was on amazon but gotta call and ask http://www.scan.co.uk/products/therm...h-hand-cooling

also this but out of order, but avaliable at btshop http://www.scan.co.uk/products/steel...geable-keysets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Yes they do exist....... the backlit thing exists mainly for the gaming keyboard market and can be picked up from under £20 from decent makers. The issue is the USB ports, remember the keyboard has to be a corded keyboard, the cheapest I have found is under £50 so far the Gigabyte K8100. You could find them cheaper, I tried, but its a lot of effort, as you got to check the pictures/manual to look for the usb ports.
    Also theres this but not sure on the usb ports, heard there was on amazon but gotta call and ask http://www.scan.co.uk/products/therm...h-hand-cooling

also this but out of order, but avaliable at btshop http://www.scan.co.uk/products/steel...geable-keysets
    That is very helpful, thank you! I will look into these two a bit more.

Wires don't bother me, it sits on the desk and doesn't move about so I can live with that

Seems strange that they don't list it in the specs sometimes!

Thanks again for your post!

ReputationRep:
    I remember finding one but it had to recharged every 6 (!) hours of use cause it was wireless.

Wired ones are everywhere but they all seem to be really expensive or crap.

ReputationRep:
    I may have found the answer, and I feel really stupid for not thinking of this before:

This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ultra...ywords=usb+hub

Paired with something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JQ...yboard+backlit
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper

Wires don't bother me, it sits on the desk and doesn't move about so I can live with that

Amazon review on that product is pretty damning:

Spoiler:
    Show

Replacing a keyboard for a gamer is never easy, especially on a budget. But as a gamer, I'd recommend avoiding this product.

It isn't that it isn't functional - it does what a keyboard does, after all. There are shortcuts you can program in (albeit limited). That said, there are cheaper keyboards that can do this. A gaming keyboard needs some weight, meat and a sense of quality and consistancy - for which the TT ESports Challenger has none of.

The board is too lightweight for a start, making it move about too much. The keys lack any real weighted feel, and feel cheap and hard rather than comfortable. The board itself is textured to the point a couple of hours of usage the base of the board can begin to polish your palms to a mirror shine, and the keys can begin to start hurting your fingers after repeated key presses - it doesn't lend itself to comfort. It feels cheap, plasticky and hard - hardly useful for gamers who may spend several hours locked in a match or raid with other people on far more comfortable boards. And as for that "fan" addition, it pushes air towards my hands like an asthmatic in a vaacuum - you just don't feel it. If they wanted to make this board more comfortable to use, some resistance and cushioning on the keys would have been a much better solution for extended play sessions, and not texturing the keys would have helped.

That said, the Windows Dummy Key is a nice touch. But it isn't illuminated in any way (even the Caps Lock light gave out after a few days), which again just lends itself more to feeling cheap. The plastic logo and strips on the side may look lit up in the image, but they don't when you've plugged it in.

If you are a serious gamer, looking for a replacement gaming keyboard, I'd advise that you do not buy this one. That my caps lock light gave out suggests this is a poorly made product, it's too light, very uncomfortable on the fingers and the fan is nothing more than a nice but ultimately pointless and useless gimmick. If you are looking for a keyboard for light usage, I'd suggest you just buy something cheaper and more comfortable. There is nothing this keyboard does that you can't do on most keyboard at half the price.

It's a keyboard, yes, which earns it two stars - but it's too expensive to compete with the cheaper keyboards, and too cheap to compete with similar, better and marginally more expensive ones. It just occupies a middle ground that is neither built for comfort or practicality, and for £30, you want a keyboard to at the very least tick one of those boxes - if not both.

There are far, far better alternatives out there for gamers. This is one to avoid.

You'd really want to make sure it was mechanical if it can be helped :sadnod:

ReputationRep:

The steelseries one is really really good, but out of stock, also look up the names of the other one I put down.
    I know its weird, usb port thing idea isn't really main stream..............I have seen guides to how people converter there standard keyboard and put in their own usb hub inside it.

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)

Spoiler:
    Show

I saw different comments on the same thing........ at one place people thought it was ok others didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I may have found the answer, and I feel really stupid for not thinking of this before:

This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Ultra...ywords=usb+hub

Paired with something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-JQ...yboard+backlit
    I was gonna suggest this, but thought you just wanted less clutter I suppose
    You can even add extra usb's to the back panel of your desktop case or the front depending on the make as well as having those hubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I was gonna suggest this, but thought you just wanted less clutter I suppose
    You can even add extra usb's to the back panel of your desktop case or the front depending on the make as well as having those hubs.
    The problem is my laptop has 2 USB ports, and now that I have it shut and use a bigger monitor + mouse + keyboard instead I have no more USB ports!

Are these Microsoft ones good? The reviews seem fairly positive.

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)

Spoiler:
    Show

What advantage would a mechanical one give me? I don't use my computer for gaming, so would I be missing out?

ReputationRep:
    The problem is my laptop has 2 USB ports, and now that I have it shut and use a bigger monitor + mouse + keyboard instead I have no more USB ports!

Are these Microsoft ones good? The reviews seem fairly positive.

What advantage would a mechanical one give me? I don't use my computer for gaming, so would I be missing out?
    oh ok...................yes, they sell pretty well as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.