Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All, So basically I am thinking of studying access to nursing at college. I was hoping to find out more about the course, what is the diagnostic test?

Also I already have a BA degree in another field would that hamper my chances?
    Plus how difficult is it after you have studied access to nursing, for then into UNI? Is anyone qualified via this way?
    Its just so confusing reading out there, never know whats correct lol

Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    hi i dunno whether i can help but im studying access to nursing at the minute and ive got offers for uni for adult nursing its a good route to take just very difficult! hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hiya hun I am just about to finish my access course in June. I am studying in Bolton and the course is very hard (I have 2 kids and a job) if you already have a BA from my understanding is, that the uni's have a set number of places for those who already hold degrees (that are not nursing/ midwifery). I only got one interview and I got into Salford on a conditional offer (clean CRB and get good grades). The diagnostic test is just a 20 minute test to see were your at with your maths and English. All I can advise from here is GO FOR IT - like the cliché says You Only Live Once xxx

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your replies, never knew unis would have a set number of places?
    Also ive heard is that you have to working in some degree in health field to improve your chances to get into university?

ReputationRep:
    If you already have a degree, chances are you won't need an access course to meet the academic requirements for nursing. I have a BA in a completely unrelated field & that was enough (I had 3 offers for adult nursing this year.)

However, a lot of unis want you to have done formal study within the last 3-5 years, which can be an issue if your degree was a while ago- I met that requirement by doing a couple of Open University modules the year before applying.

Care experience is highly recommended- unis do take into account transferable skills, but your application will always be strengthened by some volunteer or work experience in the field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at UNI application requirements, I don't have a science A-Level. Which most require i see.
    Plus id rather go the access route so I know a little before university.

So If your working in a care home, its desirable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaleemmyster)
    I've looked at UNI application requirements, I don't have a science A-Level. Which most require i see.
    Plus id rather go the access route so I know a little before university.

So If your working in a care home, its desirable?
    Definitely. Any experience in care is desirable, and some experience is usually required. That can be in a care home, as a carer in the community, as an informal carer for a relative, befriending, on a ward, youth group (particularly for child nursing)... Basically anything where you have some responsibility for the wellbeing of others

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.