Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I see on this forum and elsewhere that various top 10 / 15 / 20 universities are always mentioned - Durham / Warwick / Bath / Cass / LSE etc..

I was just thinking about Lancaster. I never really looked at their website until recently yet it is consistently ranked top 5 - 15.

Does anyone have any insight into why it is highly considered?

I somehow signed up to the Academy of Management's Critical Management Studies email subscriptions so my inbox has a daily email from Bill Cooke (Head of Department and Professor of Management and Society) or a colleague of his from Lancaster Business School, from this I can make a judgement that is an above average Business School.

Is it not high on people's M.Sc. / Ph.D. choices, for what reason? Geographical? Reputation? Friends have studied there?

I'd be grateful for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster Business School is highly rated for its Operations Research programme and its particularly application in telecommunications and tech consulting. Good mix of research and industry funded projects. See various OpRes rankings and good student satisfaction at affordable tuition rates.

I concur that Lancaster is strangely underrated in public discussions compared to London colleges. It surely can do with more marketing, maybe it is a mix of its disadvantages of location, small size and competition from strong peers (LSE,Warwick,Imperial). The more high profile courses in the general public tend to be MBA, MSc Finance and MSc Management and Lancaster is not very strong in these areas.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.