Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    question: complete the ionic equation between iodine and thiosulfate ions.

I2(aq) + 2S2O32-(aq) ---> ???

this is in an as level exam and we are not taught this equation, therefore there must be a method of working out what the products are?

Any ideas? thanks

I would like the method of how to work it out.. I am so bad at these..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    question: complete the ionic equation between iodine and thiosulfate ions.

I2(aq) + 2S2O32-(aq) ---> ???

this is in an as level exam and we are not taught this equation, therefore there must be a method of working out what the products are?

Any ideas? thanks

I would like the method of how to work it out.. I am so bad at these..
    2S2O32¯(aq) + I2(aq) → S4O62¯(aq) + 2I¯(aq)

The thiosulfate is a reducing agent, that's just something to learn. Hence it's reducing the iodine to iodide ions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    2S2O32¯(aq) + I2(aq) → S4O62¯(aq) + 2I¯(aq)

The thiosulfate is a reducing agent, that's just something to learn. Hence it's reducing the iodine to iodide ions.
    I thought iodine got oxidised easily so therefore the Iodine would be the reducing agent? how on earth do you decide what number to put after S and O on the RHS of the equation? :lol: This is why I hate Chemistry..

ReputationRep:
    I thought iodine got oxidised easily so therefore the Iodine would be the reducing agent? how on earth do you decide what number to put after S and O on the RHS of the equation? :lol: This is why I hate Chemistry..
    As thisoulfate is the reduing agent, it itself gets oxidised: in the simplest sense it gains oxygen.

Now if you look closely, the S406 is double the S2O3. This is essentially intuitive, you wouldnt want to start mixing up weird ratios like making the product S3O7 or something! Granted, a lot of chemistry is just gut feeling and being familiar with equations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVII)
    As thisoulfate is the reduing agent, it itself gets oxidised: in the simplest sense it gains oxygen.

Now if you look closely, the S406 is double the S2O3. This is essentially intuitive, you wouldnt want to start mixing up weird ratios like making the product S3O7 or something! Granted, a lot of chemistry is just gut feeling and being familiar with equations
    but no more S or O atoms have been added to the equation?

ReputationRep:
    but no more S or O atoms have been added to the equation?
    They have to the product and then you put a 2 infront of the initial reactant to balance it out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.