Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of making a new vlog based on my blog 'the life and lies of holly robinson' which you can find on the freshers blog section.

To make it as good as possible I thought I'd ask you lovely lot what you'd want to see/hear from a vlog?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ~bump~

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I only tend to watch motorcycle Vloggers as thats what im into, so i dont know your topic there, but i think the main things are that you need are to come accross as someone who is a bit of a 'leader' not a 'noob' if you get me. A strong dynamic interesting voice and really bring out your personality and ovcourse a nice engaging topic.

From the motorccle vlogs iv seen, the ones i switch off almost instantly are people with a monotone un-engaging voice, and are muttering about how they went the shop and bought some milk and bread and nothing out of the ordenary happend and it feels as though im listening to my gran lol.

So being dynamic and engaging is key if you ask me :-)

ReputationRep:
    In terms of personality, be likable and funny if you can. Sure that you already are!

Equipment and editing actually has a huge impact as well. Good recording equipment is a plus. Also, try not to abuse 'jump cuts', the amount of vlogs that get it wrong is silly. A good background track can be a nice addition.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in terms of techy stuff, just make sure that if you have good lighting and if you're doing it handheld its not too shaky.

If you want vlog ideas, then maybe room tour, day in the life, campus tour etc

ReputationRep:
    If you're making a vlog, don't be one of those people who just talks about what happened during their day whilst sitting in their room talking to the camera with loads of jump cuts. Show us what actually happened. Have different sections but don't put on an act and include things that you did specifically for the camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacLean)
    Well I only tend to watch motorcycle Vloggers as thats what im into, so i dont know your topic there, but i think the main things are that you need are to come accross as someone who is a bit of a 'leader' not a 'noob' if you get me. A strong dynamic interesting voice and really bring out your personality and ovcourse a nice engaging topic.

From the motorccle vlogs iv seen, the ones i switch off almost instantly are people with a monotone un-engaging voice, and are muttering about how they went the shop and bought some milk and bread and nothing out of the ordenary happend and it feels as though im listening to my gran lol.

So being dynamic and engaging is key if you ask me :-)
    Exactly this - Do you watch BaronVonGrumble? Love his blog as it's funny/interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who talks about the subjects I like and also does stuff like unboxings. Not just sitting there talking about their life and what they do in the painful monotone voice. Also LOOK AT THE CAMERA AND STOP SAYING 'UMMMM'. I see this so much and it makes for terrible video making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Exactly this - Do you watch BaronVonGrumble? Love his blog as it's funny/interesting.

Hahaha yeh I literally only found his one about 2 weeks ago! Real funny guy and he does a good job of keeping you entertained and is deffo one to subscribe to.

It made me cringe when he took that sports bike off road and dropped it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacLean)
    Hahaha yeh I literally only found his one about 2 weeks ago! Real funny guy and he does a good job of keeping you entertained and is deffo one to subscribe to.

It made me cringe when he took that sports bike off road and droped it though!
    Greenlaning and Gixxers = not a good combo!

Still though, another thing that makes his vlog great is he has a catch phrase - Double Bloody Decker! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    A good vlogger lets the audience in on their life. You should share things with the audience so that they feel part of you life, even things that you think are small and insignificant can help you make a connection with the viewer

ReputationRep:
    hello, thanks for the tips guys (although i have used a few jump cuts due to many many mistakes which hopefully will become few and far between as i get better).

i've been told off for posting the link to my vlog by mods (damn them) but if you go to youtube and type 'holsontalks' it should come up with my channel. so far there's only one video up but i am uploading the second one RIGHT NOW.

i'd love any feedback or comments or subscriptions (hint hint)!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.