Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ambass...b_3032958.html

The poster child of democracy and human rights in Burma-and in the non-west in general-is quiet on the issue of an ongoing genocide against the Rohingya people in Burma.

What do people make of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Owl of Minerva)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ambass...b_3032958.html

The poster child of democracy and human rights in Burma-and in the non-west in general-is quiet on the issue of an ongoing genocide against the Rohingya people in Burma.

What do people make of this?

I find it amazing that full of suprises doesn't have an opinion on this.

ReputationRep:
    Im shocked that she has nothing to say, when that single issue shapes the biggest challenge she will have to face. Its ridiculous that she hasn't addressed the issue once when her doing so could have put an end to it!

ReputationRep:
    I never really got the hype surrounding her. Fine, she underwent house arrest that lasted decades and didn't get to see her children in all that time and as such became the symbol of the Burmese fight for democracy.

Okay, big deal, its nice to be a symbol, but what has she done for Myanmar ? Myanmar sits on a huge bed of mineral ores and oil. Has she pushed for any real changes in Myanmar ? No. I still see a country of impoverished and power (both literally and metaphorically) deficient people.

ReputationRep:
    I for one am shocked and dismayed. Coming from Pakistan, a country whose democratic record is not exactly stellar, I looked up to Aung Sang Suu Kyi as a beacon of democracy and human rights in the developing world. I remember being excited and optimistic when I saw ASSK being released from house arrest on the news. I remember excitedly telling my mother (who is completely indifferent to the happenings of the world) about it and discussing it with university friends as well.

Its sad that once again political pragmatism has trumped moral duty and self-professed values.

ReputationRep:
    These sort of things are disgusting, and it's very sad that they still happen today. Would that we could impress upon all the world the values of rationality, liberal democracy, secularism and education.

ReputationRep:
    I was thought good of her, when she was fighting for a freer Burma, more freedom and a better life without military rule.

Now she's in some sort of power, corrupt politics has got into her head....... unwilling to speak out about the issue, always side swiping questions and not giving a opinion on what's happening is truly upsetting. I thought she wanted a better Burma for all the people.......... so many people follow her and see her as their leader/hero, she seems far more concerned with losing her support rather than fight for what she used to stand for which is a better Burma for all the people ....

Its just sad how far she has fallen suddenly, she used to be an inspiration and world leaders praised her and now look

edit: I can't believe she said this, its just getting worse and worse, playing poltics again :
    "Aung San Suu Kyi, the Burmese opposition leader, said this week she 'didn't know' if the Rohingya could be regarded as Burmese citizens"(http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-dev...ngladesh-video

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.