Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering what ID people use when they go out on the town at night. Currently I use my passport but I'm terrified that i'll lose it. Are there any kind of proof of age cards which I can apply for (which would be cheaper than a passport replacement)?

ReputationRep:
    Citizen Cards are offered in most places. Give it a google. Apart from that the main one is a driving license, but that can be expensive to get but it's always good to learn to drive, even if your not going to get a car.

ReputationRep:
    thank you at £15 thats so much cheaper and i'd be less worried about losing that.

Provisional/Citizen Card are you best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoey_Sian)
    I'm just wondering what ID people use when they go out on the town at night. Currently I use my passport but I'm terrified that i'll lose it. Are there any kind of proof of age cards which I can apply for (which would be cheaper than a passport replacement)?
    Anything other than a passport/driving licence (full or provisional) is very often turned away. You're better off applying for your provisional even if you aren't planning on driving.

ReputationRep:
    Citizen cards aren't universally accepted, just to warn you. I've had bouncers in my home town not let my friends come in with them - they were only accepting passports and driving licenses.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I just got my provisional for going out. I didn't learn to drive for about a year afterwards. I know in Glasgow it's usually passport or driving license.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Citizen cards aren't universally accepted, just to warn you. I've had bouncers in my home town not let my friends come in with them - they were only accepting passports and driving licenses.
    oh, thanks how long do you have on a provisional before it experies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Citizen Cards are offered in most places. Give it a google. Apart from that the main one is a driving license, but that can be expensive to get but it's always good to learn to drive, even if your not going to get a car.
    I dont know where you've tried to use them but they're not accepted anywhere in my area...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo F)
    I dont know where you've tried to use them but they're not accepted anywhere in my area...
    Like I said, it applies to area. A citizen card is a vaild form of photo ID that is even accepted by banks (I know, I've done it). However some people don;t know what it is and will not accept in case it's fake.

Quoting from http://www.citizencard.com/visa-prep...-classic-.html

The Classic CitizenCard is a proof of age and identity card. Bearing the PASS hologram the card is well-established as the UK’s most widely-recognised ID card. Accepted by virtually every retail outlet as valid ID, the card displays a date of birth but also an ageband (see images above). So it’s easy to prove you are young enough or old enough to access age-restricted goods and services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoey_Sian)
    oh, thanks how long do you have on a provisional before it experies?
    From what I can tell from Google, it's valid indefinitely - though photocard needs to be renewed every 10 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Like I said, it applies to area. A citizen card is a vaild form of photo ID that is even accepted by banks (I know, I've done it). However some people don;t know what it is and will not accept in case it's fake.

Quoting from http://www.citizencard.com/visa-prep...-classic-.html
    no pubs or nightclubs accept it where I am, my friend bought 1 just for that purpose but no-one will accept it so he's back to using his passport :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Clubs don't take pass cards where I'm from. Only a passport or full/provisional driving licence.

I actually can't go out at the moment as my passport is at my parents house and I don't have a driving licence as I passed recently so waiting on my full licence to come through.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely avoid the citizen card... Not everywhere accepts them.

A provisional licence is just your best bet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.