Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR,

Just wondering, in terms of wider reading during sixth form - is translated literature generally not encouraged? Should I stick to only literature written in English? Or is reading things like Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre as useful for uni applications?

The answer's probably really obvious either way, but it got me wondering...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleanthes)
    Hey TSR,

Just wondering, in terms of wider reading during sixth form - is translated literature generally not encouraged? Should I stick to only literature written in English? Or is reading things like Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre as useful for uni applications?

I would say that it depends on the course that you're applying for, but in general a diverse appreciation of literature is always admired.

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for English lit? I did and I mentioned two foreign writers - Jean-Paul Sartre and Albert Camus - so as long as you show a real interest in it and are able to write something interesting about it in your PS, mentioning a couple is fine You'd be missing out on a ton of amazing literature if you only read English writers, so I'd say go for it

ReputationRep:
    Reading literature written in other languages in translation can definitely be useful for your application, assuming you're applying for Eng Lit, and is also just generally useful for doing English. It will be particularly helpful if you wind up applying to departments which aim to offer a broad multi-language focus -- 'English and related literatures', that sort of thing.

As with anything else you might put into your personal statement, it'll work well if you integrate it with the other material you're talking about -- if you can relate whatever it is you've read in translation meaningfully to other things you've read. So foreign-language literature that has been a significant influence on people writing in English, or comes out of the same artistic movement as things written in English tends to be helpful.

I read quite a chunk of literature in translation when I was a sixth former and I think it stood me in good stead during my applications. It was certainly very useful when I actually got to university.

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR,

As long as you do not go overboard then I do not think it matters. Academics will see it as evidence of wider reading. What they do not want to see in an English personal statement is you waffling on and on about Dostoevsky when it is clear your knowledge will be extremely limited for lots of legitimate reasons. What they would find perceptive, on the other hand, is you suggesting that Dostoevsky had a significant influence upon modernist writers in the early twentieth century. If you can name a few and suggest why this is the case then you look like the dog's *******s. This is the kind of thing QHF means.

ReputationRep:
    Sartre and Camus will be find as they're part of the existentialist movement, which was pretty influential. I think it's fine but make sure you do mention English Lit otherwise they might start to wonder why you haven't applied to study Comparative Literature. Actually, why don't you, if you enjoy translated works?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.