The Student Room Group

Graduate schemes & CRB checks

Hi there,

I am hoping those of you with a little experience with graduate schemes can help me out.

I am applying for some Technology Graduate schemes from some of the larger, more well known UK brands. I've done fairly well so far and I'm due to attend some final stage assessment centers.

I have a criminal record dating back to my gap year (D&D and Possession of an illegal substance - I was an absolute moron)!

What I wanted to know from those who have experience is whether any of these graduate employers carry out a routine Criminal Record Check?

It isn't accountancy / finance based, nor is it working with kids or vulnerable people.

Thanks very much in advance,

Jboyyj
Reply 1
They would definitely want to see your criminal record, but it would be the version that doesn't contain spent convictions.
Reply 2
Without trying to sound harsh, it could cost you a placement.
Reply 3
Thanks for taking the time to respond, but as I said I did ask for people to tell me of their particular experiences. I already know it *COULD* cost me a placement - I wanted to know from people who have been through the process whether they definitely do a CRB check or not.
It depends on the employer - many companies have contracts with their clients which require a CRB check (and credit check depending on the type of data you'll have access to). I've been CRB checked by several employers due to these requirements, tends to be an anti-fraud measure. Every company I have ever worked for has asked if I have an unspent criminal record, but not all of them checked. A criminal record is not necessarily the end of your career anyway (my old manager was a former armed robber, for example) but I can't speak for every company's policy.

Whilst you haven't said, D&D and substance abuse are usually dealt with by cautions/fines, it's unlikely it was a sufficient severe penalty for it not to be considered 'spent'.

You'll usually be asked to declare unspent convictions (standard CRB check). If your convictions/cautions are spent, you don't need to tell them, and they won't show up on a standard CRB check. If they're still 'active', you do need to tell them, and the same if they (for whatever reason) require an enhanced disclosure.

Although not everywhere CRB checks on entry, some companies audit their staff's backgrounds on a regular basis. My old employer had a team dedicated to doing just that, to catch out anyone who had lied about qualifications, criminal history, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by jboyyj
Thanks for taking the time to respond, but as I said I did ask for people to tell me of their particular experiences. I already know it *COULD* cost me a placement - I wanted to know from people who have been through the process whether they definitely do a CRB check or not.

In terms of my particular experiences, every time I did an internship they asked for a police check, although if it hadn't been a long time since the previous internship then the one they had on file would be acceptable. Starting a graduate job, they again asked for a police check since the one they had on file was out of date. They are also doing credit checks and looking at previous employment/address history.

The important thing to emphasise is that at no point did they ask about spent convictions. This would be illegal since the job is not one of the types that require this.

Quick Reply

Latest