Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This thread is meant to be a consortium of knowledge that will hopefully be something that will aid all students into making fewer mistakes and errors when we are off to university/college. What I want from most of the older members is for them to contribute into providing insightful, useful and helpful information.

I'm sure many students here have forgotten something or other, when they got to university, like forgetting to bring their stationary, cutlery, or perhaps they have some helpful tips, like taking proplus and drinking lots of water for long study, I don't know, anything useful really.

I want this to be a quality thread, with no hijacking or going off on a tangent, if anyone does, I will neg rep them, if you feel the need to go off on a tangent go do it on somebody else's thread, as there are plenty of useless threads floating about. I want UK-learning to be a place for students to share knowledge, not just some chat forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    This thread is meant to be a consortium of knowledge that will hopefully be something that will aid all students into making fewer mistakes and errors when we are off to university/college. What I want from most of the older members is for them to contribute into providing insightful, useful and helpful information.

I'm sure many students here have forgotten something or other, when they got to university, like forgetting to bring their stationary, cutlery, or perhaps they have some helpful tips, like taking proplus and drinking lots of water for long study, I don't know, anything useful really.

I want this to be a quality thread, with no hijacking or going off on a tangent, if anyone does, I will neg rep them, if you feel the need to go off on a tangent go do it on somebody else's thread, as there are plenty of useless threads floating about. I want UK-learning to be a place for students to share knowledge, not just some chat forum.
    Make sure you have some cash on your first night for drinks in the bar, there may not be a cash point close at hand (a mistake I made, I only had £7 so couldn't make much of a drunken night of it, although I did have alcohol in my room so ended up going back and drinking that with my new flat mates)

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest not buying any cutlery/crockery before you get to uni. If you are sharing a kitchen with other students it is very likely that they will each bring 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 knives and forks...etc. And if you all do that you end up with loads and loads of stuff and not much room to put your food! Be prepared to buy cutlery + crockery though just in case all of you turn up thinking that everyone else will have stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I would suggest not buying any cutlery/crockery before you get to uni. If you are sharing a kitchen with other students it is very likely that they will each bring 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 knives and forks...etc. And if you all do that you end up with loads and loads of stuff and not much room to put your food! Be prepared to buy cutlery + crockery though just in case all of you turn up thinking that everyone else will have stuff!
    But then you run the risk of not having anything and having anal flatmates who won't share. Surely far better to take maybe two of everything then be without.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a phonecard or make sure your mobile is topped up before you go. In my first year we didn't have phones in our rooms and I had to find a shop that sold cards on my first day. That wasted loads of time when I could have been meeting new people.

Don't forget to bring a kettle, teabags, coffee and sugar. You'll need a nice cup of tea when you get there. Get milk on your way there. Don't go for powdered milk or Coffeemate - it's vile and will put people off having tea in your room!

ReputationRep:
    Here is what I have posted previously:

>>> some less-thought-of things

slippers
    flip flops
    laundry bag
    clothes horse
    dustpan and brush!!!
    sandwich baggies
    a very very good halogen lamp for working late at night
    a mouse to put on your laptop is you have one
    wine glasses - drinking wine out of a cup is not nice
    board games (a couple, will make a good fun free evening)
    febreze!
    a throw for your bed to make it into a sofa for friends to sit on

OOOOO in your freshers pack they say to bring about 8 passport photos. Do - It would be a hassle and not fun to try and get some in freshers' week.

Ream of printing paper

coffee whitener for when you run out of milk (it's not tooooo bad)

Bring all your usually stationery (pens,paper, scissors, sellotape etc) but also: paper clips - often overlooked, but very useful. same with rubber bands OOOO yes and address labels - excellent for re-using envelopes, labelling things (!) and good if you run out of sellotape...

I would suggest a book chair (like a little deck chair for a book). You can get them in Cam if you can't get them before. it saves a LOT o neck strain if you are making notes out of a big book!

Shoe boxes are useful for putting bits and bobs in if your room happens to only have two drawers (like mine!).

A cold/hot pack is useful - cold for headaches and hot for those chilly evenings I also have a fridge in my room, but wait till after the first tterm to see if you'll need one.

ReputationRep:
    *Tips for uni-bound students*

Remember blue tack and notice board pins to stick up lots of photos and pictures to make your room feel more personal.

Don’t be afraid to start up random conversations with people you just happen to be standing next to while waiting for something – that is how you make your new friends.

Wear comfortable shoes to the endless registration meetings, you will be queuing for quite a while.

You can never bring too many teaspoons, they seem to evaporate in student kitchens.

Don’t bother bringing stuff like washing-up liquid, laundry tablets or squash drink from home. It takes up a lot of space and you won’t need it immediately, buy it in your first supermarket trip.

Don’t get sucked into the January “must-find-a-house-now-or-they’ll-all-be-gone” panic to sort out your second year living arrangements. There will still be houses left at Easter.

Staying up till 4am when you have a 9am lecture is not a good way to learn.

If you do stay up that late you will end up sleeping in the lecture – you may as well stay in bed and not make your morning painful.

Try and be at least semi-sensible about washing up or you will have flatmates like me pestering you.

You are there to learn but you are also there to have fun – enjoy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    clothes horse
    The one thing I forgot and had to buy, chances are there'll be tumbledriers, but ours took an hour before anything would dry and it still came out all damp. There was nowhere in the flat to hang things either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Don’t bother bringing stuff like washing-up liquid, laundry tablets or squash drink from home. It takes up a lot of space and you won’t need it immediately, buy it in your first supermarket trip.

I personally disagree with this one - trying to lug all that heavy stuff from town to your room is NOT a fun thing to do when you find that you have no clean clothes left. I always bring all my tins with me at the beginning of each term (say 10 cans of peas, beans 6 cans of sweetcorn) because I am a weakling. You will really appreciate going shopping with a car when you go home for the vac!

ReputationRep:
    Take advantage of any offers you may see

eg: Open a bank account and receive either £50 or a Railcard, Railcard everytime, very useful for saving money when you go to see friends or visit back home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)

eg: Open a bank account and receive either £50 or a Railcard, Railcard everytime, very useful for saving money when you go to see friends or visit back home.

Indeed! My return trip to London including tube travel was only £12.50. WOOO (I come from Devon and it usually costs about £145!!)

ReputationRep:
    Those 75p Sainsburys never-break orange bags are BRILLIANT for transporting books when you have to pack up at the end of term.

ReputationRep:
    Great advice people. Keep em coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)

Railcard = £18....

take the money and buy a railcard

ReputationRep:
    Get a few people together and do your food shopping over the internet. Make sure there's not too many people though cuz then there might be arguments about whos got what when the shoppin arrives.

ReputationRep:
    A big tin (say, roses or celebrations) filled with sweeties/biscuits/choccie bars will make everyone want to come round.

OOO!! A clip board - that has been a veritable lifesaver. I put any sheets I need for a lecture/supervision in there because the desks can be small and there is regularly not a desk at all for supervisions/tutorials - I proudly show off my clipboard when everyone else is using their knees. Also, stuff I can't be arsed to organise after lectures and supervision gets shoved in there until I get home and can face doing it.

I think I am all wisdomed-out now.

ReputationRep:
    Programme useful numbers into your mobile, such as your tutors and the library. They will come in handy, and this way saves scrabbling looking for them when you need them.

ReputationRep:
    I signalled my intent when I got into my room by pumping up the volume of an REM cd, and people were naturally drawn to my room.

Plenty of smiling is needed.

I'd also bring plenty of change for the laundrettes. I need at least 5 20p pieces for a wash and dry.

Bookmarks. Lots of them for referencing.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I have another. I find a washing-up tub really useful for putting my dirty stuff in until I want to wash it - easy to move off the side if you need it. I suppose if you share with other people it could be useful if you want to be responsible for your own things (houseshares can either be bliss or just HELL). Besides, if you don't want to use it for washing up, it makes a nice foot bath for when they need a good soak after a hard day of queuing.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you check before you go whether you need to take a duvet and pillow. Some halls supply them and some dont although I recommend having your own anyway.
    Dont forget multipoint adapter plug things. You never have enough power points and they always sell out in the first couple of days in all the local stores.
    Posters or photos (photos are prob better makes you feel at home and then you can get posters at the freshers fair) and whitetack and some pins incase you have a pin board in your room.
    Coathangers I always forget them and they are pretty essential.
    Some sort of throw or fabric to stick on your bed or over your chair and hang on the walls- makes a place instantly homey.

A small box of shopping essentials. One set of cutlery and a glass, plate, bowl and mug. You can get the rest later. Some milk a few tea bags bread marg and marmite and something like a pizza that you can just bung in the oven. Either a tin of biccies, fun sixed chocs or pringles to share with your housemates. Then get your parents to take you on a big shopping spree (and hopefully pay) before they depart.

Dont forget your A Level certificates, passport photos, uni entrance and registration info. I have a lockable box file I keep all that stuff in under my bed.

Make sure you have at least £30 in cash for your first day cos you dont know what you will be doing.

Oh and either buy in your first couple of days or bring with you some sort of bag or basket for laundry.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.