Turn on thread page Beta

Advice and tips for students. watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 98newtond)
    I'm looking at going to De Montfort next year, this forum has been really helpful, but what clothes will i need?

How many t-shirts/jumpers ETC?
    How much sports kit?
    Will i need a suit or anything like that?
    Shoes/trainers, how many?
    Anything else i should know?

Thanks!
    You're going to have to do your own washing. So how often would you like to do it? I did manage to go practically a whole term without running out of clothes

Do you do sports/sports related degree? If so, take sports clothes! Or if you think you'll want to join a sports society then take clothes for that.

Do you have any formal events/are you planning on getting a job? You'll need a suit for things like that maybe.

You wiull need to take your own coat hangers and washing powder. You will also need to know how to use a washing machine and tumble dryer

I took about 20 pairs of shoes, but I am a shoeaholic.

ReputationRep:
    Remember university is not for every-one, only go if you think you can handle it. My personal experience of uni was ****, i'd wish i did a plumbing apprenticeship i would be loaded by now....

ReputationRep:
    I am with HSBC and for opening a student account you can get either a mp3 player or 10 free cds! (and the chance to win £1000)
    I have chosen the free cd's as i think this is a great way to help feed my music desire over the comin months of limited funds.
    You get to choose two free cds each month (from the ablum charts) and its possiable to save the vouchers until there is a cd in the charts you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc_Emma)
    I am with HSBC and for opening a student account you can get either a mp3 player or 10 free cds! (and the chance to win £1000)
    I have chosen the free cd's as i think this is a great way to help feed my music desire over the comin months of limited funds.
    You get to choose two free cds each month (from the ablum charts) and its possiable to save the vouchers until there is a cd in the charts you want.

Oooh, I'm not at university, but I thought I'd point out (as well known as it is) that going for the 5 year railcard you get with NatWest might be a little more thrifty...

Especially if, like me, you tend not to buy CDs from Woolworths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Oooh, I'm not at university, but I thought I'd point out (as well known as it is) that going for the 5 year railcard you get with NatWest might be a little more thrifty...

Especially if, like me, you tend not to buy CDs from Woolworths...
    It is always possible to have two accounts - one with HSBC to take advantage of the CDs/MP3 player and one with Natwest for the railcard. That's what I'm doing. I'll only keep a weeny bit of money in the Natwest account though, seeing as HSBC has looked after me quite well for the past couple of years.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    It is always possible to have two accounts - one with HSBC to take advantage of the CDs/MP3 player and one with Natwest for the railcard. That's what I'm doing. I'll only keep a weeny bit of money in the Natwest account though, seeing as HSBC has looked after me quite well for the past couple of years.
    If you do that, you must check the terms and conditions. And then, you need to make regular withdrawals/deposits. It doesn't have to be much, but they will know if there is no activity on your account.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, can someone offer me some simple advice about bank accounts? i already have one with alliance and leicester, but i keep seeing all these offers for student accounts with other banks!
    What is the best step to take now and is it worth it opening one?

Jen x x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Ok, can someone offer me some simple advice about bank accounts? i already have one with alliance and leicester, but i keep seeing all these offers for student accounts with other banks!
    What is the best step to take now and is it worth it opening one?

Jen x x
    The best thing to do is to see which banks are nearest your uni. That should be on the uni website, or all of the bank websites have a branch finder. Then go with that one.

If there's more than one, look at the accounts. They're mostly similar, although Natwest has a higher overdraft. And decide what you'd want free and who does that!

If you change now, you won't be able to use the overdraft til after results day, although you should get the freebies now. And you have more time for the Student Loans Company to change your details.

It is worth having one because of the overdraft. Even if you don't need it you can open a high interest bank account and earn money from it. It's not much, but every little helps.

ReputationRep:
    This may sound like a stupid question, but....

say tuition fees are £3000 per year. Student Loan Company give you £3000 per year for tuition fees, which you pay back when you're earning £15000+ (whatever it is).
    Do they also loan money towards accom., living expenses, etc. ?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    nope the company gives you 3000 loan and thats it - you have to use it in whatever way you feel necessary, yor parents or you are expected to pay for the rest of your expenses. You can get grants towards your tuition fees as well as for living expenses (I think...) if you are from a very low income family

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...

so SLC give you £3000/year for whatever purpose, the other approx. £3000-4000 for food, rent, etc etc has to be paid by you or parents.
    Got it.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Better find some money for 2006 then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaccerZD)
    This may sound like a stupid question, but....

say tuition fees are £3000 per year. Student Loan Company give you £3000 per year for tuition fees, which you pay back when you're earning £15000+ (whatever it is).
    Do they also loan money towards accom., living expenses, etc. ?
    Thanks.
    Can I just clarify a very important point here, from 2006, tuition fees WILL NOT be paid during your time at university, so the student loan can therefore be used entirely for living costs.

You pay back the tuition fees through the tax system over a number of years, depending on your level of income. You are not expected to keep any of the loan money to pay for tuition.

Just to make this clear again, loans paid to you by the student loan company should be used on living costs (rent, food etc) and should NOT be kept to pay tuition fees!

ReputationRep:
    oh whoops didnt realise you were 2006, was right for 2005 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKR)
    oh whoops didnt realise you were 2006, was right for 2005 entry?
    Your tuition fees “should” be paid by your parents/guardian, etc, whoever were assessed on the forms you sent in to the LEA, that’s why they ask for parental income etc.

The benefit of the new system is that you don’t pay anything up front, which is a much better way – as you haven’t got the worry of having to pay tuition fees on top of keeping money for living costs.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, Useful thread.

Whats everyones general opnion on kitchen packs? My parents bought me this 40 set one for £30 quid, seriouisly everything you need.. pans,pots, tin opener,tea towels, tupperware etc.
    Also Ive found that around this time of year alot of big stores are selling university geared packs such as 'Office packs' which seem pretty good value.

The Insurance thing stumps we, What routes can you go down for this?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Insurance: you need insurance. If you wait until the start of term, there will probably be people from Endsleigh at the fresher's fair selling their insurance to you. Most students do go with Endsleigh, but they are the most expensive. I saved £40 by going with Saxon Direct, and I didn't even have anything much special except a cheap laptop. And the Endsleigh man I argued with at the fresher's fair admitted that Saxon Direct are better.

There are also other companies but I can't remember the names. I'll update this later for you.

Another possibilty is being covered on your parent's house insurance. This only works with some policies from some companies though. And it worked out more expensive for my dad to do this than have 2 separate policies for me and him.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who is starting to buy some stationary for uni ie pens, plastic wallets, paper, folders, post it's , staplers etc. Then check out Lidl's next week as they will be selling loads of stationary stuff all at a very cheap price!!!

Plus, lidl are really good for cheap fruit and veg when at uni too!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice everybody.. TKR, martynwilliams, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I should have said 2006 entry, sorry... £3000 is entirely for living expenses and so on... thanks for clearing that up.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.