Turn on thread page Beta

Advice and tips for students. watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Remember though, it's best to buy books when you're there! Unless you can get them really really cheap, in which case it's probably worth buying them even if they're not on your sepcific reading list.

ReputationRep:
    What ive done with my reading list is purchase them for half the price on Ebay - if you go on the faculty website it should say which edition you need to buy.
    None of the books im buying are brand new, i just thought its a good idea to have a reading list especially if you have to read them before you get there!! i.e. English Literature courses.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey. really useful thread. I just read all 13 pages, i think it took me about an hour! really useful though.

keep em coming!

ReputationRep:
    i shud admire ur patience in readin such a huge thread...hehe! though in my settings i can see this thread in 7 pages.

ReputationRep:
    ha, should of thought about that!

ReputationRep:
    wow this thread is handy! does anyone know where u get those security marker pen things from to mark your precious items? Also, how long does it take to piece your timetable together? ooo and one last question, is it wise to get a part time job?
    Thanks for any info!
    Hannah )

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit of a useless cook, and I'd find it super helpful if people could maybe share some easy/cheap/nice recipies or whatever, because otherwise I might starve and/or get food poisoning...!

ReputationRep:
    Check out these books for quick/student recipes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...425735-2510206

ReputationRep:
    The cooking book nosh for students is fantastic, there are many easy and some harder recipes and it has pics which helps you know what it sohuld look like!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen this yet but last night I spent like,3 hours on www.studentfreestuff.com ordering free samples of all sorts.As long as you tick the don't contact me box you shouldn't get any junk mail!

ReputationRep:
    O.o free skincare samples.. well Hello!

ReputationRep:
    Any specfic advice and tips for those of us commuting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyglitter)
    I haven't seen this yet but last night I spent like,3 hours on www.studentfreestuff.com ordering free samples of all sorts.As long as you tick the don't contact me box you shouldn't get any junk mail!
    Is it really free? or is there some hidden catch.. im quite skeptical

ReputationRep:
    Yep you can get free things on there.I got some free moisturiser today!No catch!

ReputationRep:
    lol wow great thread! do we need a vacuum cleaner?

ReputationRep:
    Good question, i'm going to go without and i'm sure they'll provide us with something. If not then i'll learn what times the cleaner is around and try to get 5 mins use of theirs
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It should say in your contract whether your room is cleaned. If so, you won't need one!

If not, there should be one to borrow anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My Brother's useful advice was 'Suck up to the cleaners, and you can borrow all the cleaning products'.
    Im sure he proberly flirted with them to be honest :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what insurance I need for uni? I'm sure I should know this...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CrazyChemist)
    Can anyone tell me what insurance I need for uni? I'm sure I should know this...
    You need student contents insurance.

Most students go with Endsleih, but they're most expensive. I went with Saxon Direct and saved £40 and got more cover.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.