Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Ha! now all the robbers know where you hide it :eek:

I always used to use those big-ish plastic storage boxes - they're handy for transporting stuff anyway and they stack together out of the way once you've unpacked and when I was in the royal holloway prison cell (breezeblock walls anyone?) they doubled as a bedside table and a table for my TV to sit on in the one corner of the room that had a decent signal.
    well if someone wants to steal my passport photos they are welcome to them lol

ReputationRep:
    This is a really good informative thread! I've already got loads of hints and tips for uni even though the big move is months away.

Thanks Bhaal for making it and everyone else for contributing to it!
    (I'd give you rep...if I could)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a student or anything but make sure you get as much as you can for free! They practically throw things at you, not to mention the discounts! The Times (vouchers via. their website) for instance can be bought for 20p, that's £1.50 saving per week. I'm jammy and pretend I'm a student. Stupid people.

Oooh and not forgetting 1/3 off price student rail card and the National Express student card which can both be bought around £20-30.

ReputationRep:
    I too am not a student yet , but from what my brother said - and this one is most relevant for the girls I think - Don't get too hung up on getting an ensuite bathroom and a big kitchen, it really doesn't matter once you get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I would suggest not buying any cutlery/crockery before you get to uni. If you are sharing a kitchen with other students it is very likely that they will each bring 4 plates, 4 cups, 4 knives and forks...etc. And if you all do that you end up with loads and loads of stuff and not much room to put your food! Be prepared to buy cutlery + crockery though just in case all of you turn up thinking that everyone else will have stuff!
    A nice idea but it wouldn't work in our flat. Becuase everyone uses everyone elses stuff there is a huge pile of dirty washing up in the kitchen and right now there isn't a single clean glass, knife or spoon in the entire kitchen. Generally it is a good idea not to bring absolutely everything, because someone else will and you can always buy things later. Also don't take too much stuff as you might not have that much space in your room.

Also on the subject of boxes - the cardbaord fruit boxes from supermarkets are good, they're strong, stack, disposable and completely free!

One more thing I don't know if anyone's mentioned it but a door stop is essential - also a big sign with your name on to put on the front of your room during freshers week might be useful - though I haven't tried this one.

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    Old cutlery works a treat as a door stop. Also you find that in those unis which have a gideons bible in the rooms that they get used as doorstops on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    The "in thing" to use as a doorstop here is a corkscrew - our doors have scarily strong spring hinges and will just push over anything but a proper doorstop or a corkscrew.

Do remember slippers as your feet get mightly cold if there is a fire alarm at 4am and you all have to pile outside! The same applies to trips to the kitchen with its cold lino for midnight snacks.

ReputationRep:
    flip flops are brilliant for communal showers.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go shopping with an empty stomach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Don't go shopping with an empty stomach.
    And try to have a vague idea of what your gonna buy. I terrible and end up coming home with loads of burgers and stuff and nothing to go with them! Or I seem to buy fish fingers everytime I go shopping and now have about 5 packets in the freezer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I'm having visions of someone carrying around an internal organ in a bag.
    I prefer to use a wicker basket myself, but each to his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insatiable)
    I prefer to use a wicker basket myself, but each to his own.
    Please stick to the topic, or I shall be forced to allocate negative rep to people whom stray off the course of this thread. (Don't reply and say 'OK'). If you must post something, make sure it is relevent.

ReputationRep:
    Don't wait until you get to university to open a bank account. Go to your local branch well before you head off. This removes delay and ensures you will get your student loan into your account as quickly as possible when you start your course.

ReputationRep:
    for you bhaal

ollie's tips:
    1. Try to meet as many people as possible. ie. Make good friends on those on your floor, but be on first name terms with everyone.
    2. Get a bank account before going.
    3. Get your parents to buy lots of food and drink for you to take.
    4. Always have cash in bars, people hate freeloaders.
    5. Above all, be yourself, when you are with people 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, people get to see past and fakes.
    6. Someone will walk in on someone else whilst in the shower, try to make sure (or not!) it's not you!
    7. Do meals as a group, one of teh best times to chat.
    8. Join some clubs, at least one.
    9. Use protection
    10. A duvet is great to take if you havent got one!
    11. Remember that you have paid for it, therefore expect a good service from the uni.

more when i think of them!

ReputationRep:
    Dont get all your coursebooks straight away theres normally a second hand booksale in the first few weeks of term.

ReputationRep:
    Never underestimate the crap that is in a pound shop, it's your mum's birthday and you only have £5. Get a frame and have a photo taken of you. A nice picture of you all grown up.

Looking for crockery, very funky multicoloured crockery available for 50p per plate. Also due to very funky bright colours, nobody can nick it without your knowledge!

Stationary galore, get every colour pen, pencil...glue you can think of! They may not last long but if you play your cards right you can have just as much fun with a permanant marker than after £20 at the Union.

Random stuff like CD Racks (makes a very good toast rack), storage boxes...

it may not be gucci but check out your bank balance and you will kiss the proprietor and invite him for a cup of tea (from your lovely pound shop teapot...very useful thing) at your flat!

ReputationRep:
    If in London there are these cheeky things you can pick up that are leaflets that are 2 for 1. Pick up one of those and it has 4 vouchers in the back and what you can do is you and 7 friends can go to a Deep Pan Pizza and get an all you can eat buffet for £3 each. Though drinks aren't included. Also available are napkins and if you buy tupperware (your mother will send you off with a ton of that) you can make one meal last for days!

ReputationRep:
    Had a couple more thoughts I wanted to add:

Make sure you have insurance (either a separate policy of included on your parents home insurance)

Mark all your valuable with those invisible pens postcode pens you can get.

I know this seem a bit extreme, but student housing is perfect for thieves, lots of people walking in and out, and if they break into a house they'll get 5 laptops, 5 playstations, 5 stereos etc.

ReputationRep:
    bring chocs and sweets for everyone to share but don't breing too many bcause iw as stuck for about 3 months still trying to get rid of all the choc cake etc.

Get a nice relative to send you food parcels of nice stuff. my gran keeps me going with flapjaks.

Don't assume that just because you live with someone you will get on with them. My block is really divided and at first it worried me but once you get out and start making friends in other parts of hall etc you don't care any more

Get a mini fridge... my comunal fridge is disgusting and has traces of bad milk form the last 6 months making a terrible smell. Also people tend to borrow/nick stuff especially things like milk, philidelphia, past sauce and its so annoying to go down to the fridge when your starving and find out that you have nothing left.

bring a different lamp shade. I didn't ever think about this but the lampshade i've got doesn't really project the light and my room is always really dim and i'm sure its skrewing up my eyes.

When you arrive don't worry that you've over packed.. you probably havn't unless you've got a really small room. I thought i was bad until i saw a girl turn up with a car and a van and she had her own full size fridge, microwave etc.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.