Turn on thread page Beta

Advice and tips for students. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, its near that time already, so I thought I might as well bring this back from the dead, and as I'm sure you'll agree, it is quite useful. :rolleyes:

BTW A huge Thank You to all those who contributed already, massive rep on the way.

Repped so far (Damn 24 hour rule!!!):
    Ditzy Blonde
    Amb1

ReputationRep:
    These tips are great, I would never have thought of some of them! (Lampshade & all )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Don't wait until you get to university to open a bank account. Go to your local branch well before you head off. This removes delay and ensures you will get your student loan into your account as quickly as possible when you start your course.
    lol why is it that whilst i'm reading this, i here you saying this in a deep roaring voice, godlike! cool and useful info though, great!

ReputationRep:
    Don't wait until you get to university to open a bank account. Go to your local branch well before you head off. This removes delay and ensures you will get your student loan into your account as quickly as possible when you start your course.
    ive already put the student loan to go into a current account, but that doesnt obviously give any extra offers. can i still change the account into which the cash goes into by contacting the LEA or is it too late??

ReputationRep:
    I put my student loan into a saving's ISA, handy for earning a bit of extra money.

ReputationRep:
    advice about bank account: yes open it before you going, but check there is a branch where you're going! i was going to go to HSBC before discovering they don't have a branch in dundee, and there will normally be a bank on campus so that could sway your decision. so check! (particularly if you're going to a scottish uni or one in a small place)lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I've read somewhere before that someone opened like up numerous accounts with different banks, in order to attain the special student deals, is this allowed? I mean in banks do you have to give them your original documents? And do all the banks collaberate together in order to prevent this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    ive already put the student loan to go into a current account, but that doesnt obviously give any extra offers. can i still change the account into which the cash goes into by contacting the LEA or is it too late??
    I believe you can change your bank details with the loan company, so that it is paid into another account.

ReputationRep:
    I've read somewhere before that someone opened like up numerous accounts with different banks, in order to attain the special student deals, is this allowed? I mean in banks do you have to give them your original documents? And do all the banks collaberate together in order to prevent this?
    it isn't allowed and most of them specify that you shouldn't (and they prob get suspicious if you student loan isn't paid into the account). dunno how they check tho

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I believe you can change your bank details with the loan company, so that it is paid into another account.

Yes, after you get confirmation from your LEA how much funding you are going to get for the year (inc. student loan), you will recieve seperate documentation from the Student Loans Company confirming this, and your loan account numbers etc - in the same envelope from the SLC you will recieve a Bank Details Request form, which if you have given other details on which provide a chance to amend them, and allocate your monies to other accounts.

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend forgot to take a duvet/pillow and loo roll when he started...oh those little things you overlook!

ReputationRep:
    If you know that you are going to have an internet connection in your room it is well worth sorting out all the things you will need (an ethernet card if your computer doesn't already have one, and a cable) - my ethernet worked straight away but I didn't have a cable and with hundreds of freshers descending on one town these things sell out quickly and you have to wait aaaages for the shops to get more in!

ReputationRep:
    Allways use a railcard and book tickets well in advance. This means that even long distance fares are next to nothing. Good deals are also to be had for first class - if you're interested in the superior comfort afforded by it. 10 days before travel is normally enough. If you want to go first without paying for a first class ticket you can have a meal in the dining car and take most of the trip to eat it!

ReputationRep:
    Student loan advice:

Divide it up. Open up a high interest savings account (an instant access ISA is ideal) and at the beginning of each term, put half of it in there, then halfway through your term, transfer the rest into your current account. That way, you can earn a little interest on it, and you won't reach the last 3 weeks of term having spent it all, maxed out your overdraft and living on super noodles and bread (which is what an ex of mine ended up doing )

Also, BUDGET! Even if you don't stick to it, it still helps you have an idea of what you ought to be spending per week. Don't forget to factor in a little money for one-off larger expenditure, gig tickets, ball tickets, etc etc...

What are we thinking that the least possible amount to live on per week is?!? :confused: I know students have claimed to be able to live on under £1 a week and stuff like that but realistically what is possible?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    What are we thinking that the least possible amount to live on per week is?!? :confused: I know students have claimed to be able to live on under £1 a week and stuff like that but realistically what is possible?!?
    It depends on how much you spend on takeaways every week .

This year I've been budgetting on £60-70 a week, and it's worked out ok. If you're self catered, get your parents to take you shopping and get a load of basic stuff that will last ages (soups, frozen veg, spaghetti hoops, tinned sweetcorn etc), that way when you do a food shop you don't have to worry about buying stuff like that. I reckon, depending on where you shop, you can do a week's food on about £15-20, although more expensive if you buy loads of microwave meals (which are always small and never fill you up). Avoid shopping at Sainsbury's if you can as its quite expensive (as we've discovered since my parents have started doing the weekly shop at Waitrose and are finding it costs no more than their weekly shop did at Sainsbury's) - Asda is cheap, although the fresh stuff is never very nice (or arguably very fresh) and the vegetables are all pre-packed. Tesco's is quite good for fresh stuff, and is not too expensive, though if you have a Morrison's locally shop in there as its very cheap (their own brand range is usually cheaper than other supermarkets economy stuff) and the fresh produce is always displayed nicely and is always good quality stuff). When my dad was at uni, him and his friends used to go to the market in the town centre to get fresh fruit and veg - they always went to the same stall so that the owner recognised them after a while, and started throwing in freebies and stuff - so thats an idea!

Wow just realised I've written a lot about supermarkets...that's slightly worrying! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hall fire alarms... do they do a register? or just assume you are out for the night? cos i sure as hell am not getting out of bed every time someone burns some toast/ sets them off drunk. i'd rather just take my chances and stay under my duvet!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    Hall fire alarms... do they do a register? or just assume you are out for the night? cos i sure as hell am not getting out of bed every time someone burns some toast/ sets them off drunk. i'd rather just take my chances and stay under my duvet!!!
    well it's kind of pointless hvaing a fire alarm/register if no one comes out... how do you know if its real or not? my brother had a fire practice in his first week at uni at 6.30am (he'd gone to bed at 4)

lou xxx

(Original post by Chicken)
    It depends on how much you spend on takeaways every week .
    Ohh well £20,000 isn't all that much debt is it.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Ohh well £20,000 isn't all that much debt is it.... :rolleyes:
    nah i'm sure you can manage living on like £10 a term it's cheap up north

lou xxx

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.