Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    Hall fire alarms... do they do a register? or just assume you are out for the night? cos i sure as hell am not getting out of bed every time someone burns some toast/ sets them off drunk. i'd rather just take my chances and stay under my duvet!!!
    No, during fire alarms you just have to stand outside in the cold and wait till the fire people say you can go back in again. One night (when I happened to have gone home ) the fire alarm went off 3 times and lots of people didn't bother coming down the third time.

Usually in the first week of term you'll have a proper fire pracrice where the alarm gets set off for your accommodation and the fire warden talks to you about procedure and fire saftey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    Hall fire alarms... do they do a register? or just assume you are out for the night? cos i sure as hell am not getting out of bed every time someone burns some toast/ sets them off drunk. i'd rather just take my chances and stay under my duvet!!!
    The wardens tend to do a sweep of the building to check everyone is out I think (well they did at my flats)

About the multiple student accounts, it is possible, I know quite a few people who have done it, but its not strictly allowed. Most accounts impose the condition that it has to be your main account (ie the one you use most and put money into as well as taking it out) The other down side is you always have to pay your overdraft back, taking out extra will just mean you have a lot more to pay off in the end, try to avoid getting into more debt than is necesssary (a friend of a friend took out an extra account for the second overdraft and went shopping and bought an Armani top from Harvey Nic's for £200!)

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, how much does a basic self-cooked meal cost over there? I'm an overseas student and food here is amazingly cheap: usually less than 1 pound for a hot meal.

I'm starting to worry about expenses are it is 3.3 pounds: 1 dollar and my parents are paying for my entire education... including the 9000pounds p.a. tuition fees. I feel guilty and will try to budget as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    The wardens tend to do a sweep of the building to check everyone is out I think (well they did at my flats)
    Yeah we had 2 fire wardens per 10 person flat in my halls (I was one - we just had to knock on everyone's door and make sure everyone was stood outside. We did have a briefing on what we were supposed to do but I missed it :rolleyes: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Just wondering, how much does a basic self-cooked meal cost over there? I'm an overseas student and food here is amazingly cheap: usually less than 1 pound for a hot meal.

I'm starting to worry about expenses are it is 3.3 pounds: 1 dollar and my parents are paying for my entire education... including the 9000pounds p.a. tuition fees. I feel guilty and will try to budget as much as possible.

Hmm depends on how sensible you are with your food.

Faffy little meal like Baked Beans on Toast costs next to nothing (Tin of beans £0.24, 2 slices of bread, £0.06)

Pasta Carbanara (sp?) doesn't cost very much as pasta is very cheap (£0.30 per bag).

"Chicken in a White Wine & Lemon Pepper Sauce served with Egg Fried Rice, and home made Garlic Bread", is something I made for 6 people during the last week year, and I think I figured that that cost about £1.70 each, including the glass of wine to occumpany the meal.

I'll offer my hint to students now: DON'T buy pre-made garlic bread that you just need to bang in the oven - it's over priced.
    For a little extra time, you can buy a French baguette, and make your own garlic butter, with some normal butter, mixed herbs and garlic puree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    What are we thinking that the least possible amount to live on per week is?!? :confused: I know students have claimed to be able to live on under £1 a week and stuff like that but realistically what is possible?!?
    About a tenner a week at bear minimum eating, and drinking council pop.

In that:

6 pt bottle of milk £1.60
    Bag of Pasta £0.70
    Block of Cheese £1.60
    Loaf of Bread £0.32
    4 tins of Beans £1.20
    Packet of Mince £2.50
    Block of Butter £0.35

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)

"Chicken in a White Wine & Lemon Pepper Sauce served with Egg Fried Rice, and home made Garlic Bread", is something I made for 6 people during the last week year, and I think I figured that that cost about £1.70 each, including the glass of wine to occumpany the meal.
    THANK YOU for that post. Your chicken in white wine meal sounds absolutely mouthwatering and it is cheap, even by my country's standards. I guess if I know how to do the right shopping, I'll be fine. I'm looking forward to coming over to the UK! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    if you can, buy your fresh fruit and veg on a proper open air market not a supermarket. I generally spend about £3.50 and come away with 3 carriers full of veg. I don't do this every week and i keep the stuff in the fridge so it lasts longer, i know that's not an option for many.

If you can buy loads of noodles and pasta etc before leaving home, the local supermarket shelves are empty of all the cheap pasta at the start of term.

ReputationRep:
    How much does a mini fridge cost? I would like to own one coz' the thought of a communal fridge just freaks me out.

ReputationRep:
    Bring a door wedge so that when you first arrive you can be sociable and talk to anyone that walks past your door.

Not that I'm at uni yet, but my sister recommends it!

ReputationRep:
    How much does a mini fridge cost? I would like to own one coz' the thought of a communal fridge just freaks me out.
    about £50

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    about £50

lou xxx
    Thanks! I'm definitely buying one then when I get there. Wheeee!! I'm so excited.

ReputationRep:
    not all uni's allow them though - so check for you buy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    not all uni's allow them though - so check for you buy!
    Oooh pooo! How do I check! Lolz.. Durham's my future Uni and I'm just anxious.

Thanks for that warning though.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh pooo! How do I check! Lolz.. Durham's my future Uni and I'm just anxious.

Thanks for that warning though.
    It should say somewhere in your accomodation information. I know we weren't allowed them. And nobody nicked from our fridge anyway, if it happens it happens so just don't go over the top and buy lots of really nice things that you aren't going to use straight away.

ReputationRep:
    if somebody nicked my food - i'd smack 'em one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    if somebody nicked my food - i'd smack 'em one!

someone's nicked my frying pan today:mad:

ReputationRep:
    hunt the pan down, and bash the culprit over the head with it!!!

ReputationRep:
    Communal fridge use isn't anywhere near as bad as you might think. You'd only be sharing with about another 5 people, and no one is ever going to have a months worth of their own food in there.

The trick is just to have the essentials in.
    A 4 pint bottle of milk, bottle of water, some pop, fruit juice, block of cheese, some ham, corned beef, and eggs.

Provided you get the right sort of people sharing with you, people might ask if they can borrow some stuff if they're cooking / peckish - its when they don't ask/don't tell you when you return from where-ever you were that meant they couldn't ask you, that you get annoyed with them when you find stuff isn't there that you expected it to be.

Us Brits are normally quite friendly though, and for the best part agree to replace it next time I'm out or at least give you the money for it, if you kick up that big a fuss.

If its the hygiene factor that worries you; don't have any hesitation of giving someone a nudge if they are being considerate/hygeinic with their food, especially meats.

Also, as soon as things go out of date in the fridge, throw them out, regardless of whether its yours or not - if the owner was so bothered about eating them they wouldn't have gone out of date.
    (Things in the freezer section obviously not neccessary to throw them out when out of date).

ReputationRep:
    This one depends a lot on who you are sharing with, can work or can be a disaster.

Buy some things between you like milk. Instead of all buying your own and having 5 bottles going off at once have one person buy a pint each day. Or duy 5 plastic bottles and freeze them, that way you never run out and the milk is always fresh. (standing the bottle in a sink of warm water will melt it in minuites)

Other things that can be frozen are butter, cheese, left over takeaways.

One house share i was in we kept a list and if you bought something for 'the house' like cleaning fluid or toilet roll you wrote down who'd bought it and how much. You can see who is spending what and it stops all the "I bought the last toilet roll", "Yeah but i bought bleach 2 months ago" anyone not buying for the house can then be forced to buy alcohol for the others.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.