Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do make sure you have cold and flu remedies. i thought fresher's flu was a myth till i woke up on my second day and couldnt lift my head off the pillow (no alcohol the night before, may i add). standing around in a registration queue in a stuffy corridor for hours is no joke, and more than likely swarming with lovely airbourne viruses. trying to find a tescos or a pharmacy in a brand new city when your head is pounding, and then trying to ask the guy where the strepsils are only to discover you have lost your voice, and then bursting into tears on the spot is a horrible experience. and if you get ill you will be feeling all antisocial and miss out on all the fresher's week fun and games. if you're lucky enough not to get diseased, im sure some unfortunate neighbour would be glad of donations of lemsip and hot water bottles if they are ill, and you will make friends with them on top of it all. bonus.

also it goes without saying not to forget any normal medication, contraceptive pills, blah blah you take. easily done. it might take a couple of weeks for your new GP regsitration to be sorted. and once you're there make sure you get one of the forms for exemption from prescription charges, dental/opticians fees, etc from the nhs (i think it's form HC1 or something, available to download off the website).

ReputationRep:
    When in doubt ASK.

No matter how stupid/basic you think your question is the chances are that at least 15 other people have the same thought but not the cojones to ask. Older students, lecturers,admin staff - we are all here to help and we really don't mind being asked where then library is as you stand outside it (although by mid-November you might get short shrift).

In your early days at uni check out how you access the support services offered by the university and the students' union. Hopefully YOU will never need counselling, emergency funds or feel suicidal but it is reassuring to know that if your flatmate is threatening to OD then you know how to access the huge amount of professional help available within the university structure.

Better still get involved - many unis have highly skilled student support networks which give you proper training and look great on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    do make sure you have cold and flu remedies. i thought fresher's flu was a myth till i woke up on my second day and couldnt lift my head off the pillow (no alcohol the night before, may i add). standing around in a registration queue in a stuffy corridor for hours is no joke, and more than likely swarming with lovely airbourne viruses. trying to find a tescos or a pharmacy in a brand new city when your head is pounding, and then trying to ask the guy where the strepsils are only to discover you have lost your voice, and then bursting into tears on the spot is a horrible experience. and if you get ill you will be feeling all antisocial and miss out on all the fresher's week fun and games. if you're lucky enough not to get diseased, im sure some unfortunate neighbour would be glad of donations of lemsip and hot water bottles if they are ill, and you will make friends with them on top of it all. bonus.

also it goes without saying not to forget any normal medication, contraceptive pills, blah blah you take. easily done. it might take a couple of weeks for your new GP regsitration to be sorted. and once you're there make sure you get one of the forms for exemption from prescription charges, dental/opticians fees, etc from the nhs (i think it's form HC1 or something, available to download off the website).

Thats hardcore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)

Bookmarks. Lots of them for referencing.
    Alternative to bookmarks = stiky notes! Stick them protruding out of the page and write on them so you know what you wanted to refer to on that page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    How much are people paying for insurance and does anyone know any good companies.
    I think it's Natwest or HSBC that give you free insurance with a student back account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    How about withdrawing all your money from your student account plus the maximum interest free overdraw you can do. Then put it into a building society to gain interest. Not sure if this is legal though.
    It is legal. You can do what you want with your moeny, but you will need some in a current account for instant use.

ReputationRep:
    In my halls i had about 8 fire alarms in each term.

It was always on a friday night when i needed to get up at 8am for my part time job. Some Townies would come in at 4am light up their cigarrettes/joints and the fire alarms would go .

Sucks having fire alarms in every room.

ReputationRep:
    Cold/Flu remedies, like others have said you or someone you live with will no doubt get freshers flu.

NHS direct number/ or better still you uni's nurse unit (if you have one).

Arrange your note how you wish, it needs to work for you.

Try to remember to get the notes of lectures you missed.

Check your uni email, departments and tutors may send email to you.

Dont sign up for everything at freshers fair if they want money straight away, put your name down and go away and thing about it.

Try to visit a supermarket for your shopping not the local shop it will no doubt be expensive.

Be as sociable as possible, if someone invites you somewhere then go.

If things arent going to plan, or as you had hoped then TALK to someone a uni counselling service or your GP. Depression and other mental health problems are common. Make sure you speak with your department if appropriate they are there to help.

Do the work expected of you, afterall you are paying to be taught, so if you feel lectures etc arent what you expect then speak up.

Finally and most importantly HAVE FUN

ReputationRep:
    If like me, it's NECESSARY you have a television (for my course HONEST!), don't forget a television license. I know people will automatically harp on at you about it, but if you go down to your local post office you can set up a monthly direct debit to pay for it. So instead of splurging your whole £121 in one go, pay it off in ten pound payments.

Don't take a kettle and a toaster, I believe everybody else in your halls will take these as well. If you feel this is a bit harsh, take the kettle but leave the toaster. Keep your coffee and tea in your room with some sugar, so if your having a proper cramming session at night you can go and make yourself a coffee without banging about and waking everybody up.
    Oh and nobody will nick it either.

If like me your halls don't have the internet set-up, rather than going and pissing about waiting for a computer to free up in the university. Why not talk to everybody else and see if they would be interested in having a communal computer with internet access. Basically if you all put some kitty in to pay for connection/reconnection, line rental and the internet itself it won't be as expensive. Have a rota of who gets to use the computer at what time and make an agreement on who's room it should be in. This person should get some sort of compensation for everybody tramping into their room (pay less on the bill, a beer fund that must be contributed to everytime they are disturbed, permission to go to other persons room and listen to their CD's, smoke their gear, drink their booze, screw their girlfriend...ok maybe not the last few). As long as you are mature and rational and keep good records then there should be no reason why it shouldn't work.

Clothes pegs, for your socks. When you do the washing, your socks always dissapear don't they. Get some plastic clothes pegs and clip the socks together when you put them in.

Drying stuff in a tumble dryer. ALWAYS check the filter before turning it on, burning your clothes isn't smart on a tight budget. Put a towel in so your clothes don't get too static.

Make use of space. If you aren't allowed to hang posters on the walls make use of the space you do have, sides of the wardrobe, back of the door, hell even the insides of the wardrobe!

If your parents travel a lot, get them to keep the free travel bags that they collect. My dad travels a hell of a lot and I've got enough soap, toothpaste, ear plugs, face masks, mouthwash, shower gel, shampoo, socks, hell even pajamas to keep me going until I graduate. If you work in a hotel, nick some of the free stuff when nobody is looking.

Find websites that give stuff away for free, yes, it sounds crazy, but some websites really do give stuff away free.

Find your nearest Lidl, I happen to know that their W5 Stain remover for clothes is cheap but really really really effective (as a i had a conversation with one of my tutors about it once.....), also despite most of their food being...well erm...****, their sweets are kick arse. Especially the gummi bears. You can also get random stuff in there like yesterday they were selling vacuums for £10.

Girls.If you're looking for a way to get to know your other female housemates (or male, whatever floats your boat) and fancy being creative at the same time. Get some flymo or whatever it's called modelling clay and some jewellery fixtures. I once spent 5 hours making jewellery and talking to my french exchange partner that I had managed to spend 4 days trying not to talk to. And in the end I had some kick ass jewelery.
    I'll come back when I think of some more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    If you feel this is a bit harsh, take the kettle but leave the toaster. Keep your coffee and tea in your room with some sugar, so if your having a proper cramming session at night you can go and make yourself a coffee without banging about and waking everybody up.
    Oh and nobody will nick it either.
    if you are going to do this make sure your room will allow the kettle to work without blowing it up. some unis and halls of residence have restrictions on voltage, mine specifically mentioned hairdryers, irons and kettles. so do check.

If your parents travel a lot, get them to keep the free travel bags that they collect. My dad travels a hell of a lot and I've got enough soap, toothpaste, ear plugs,...
    ! slightly random thing to have knocking about

Find your nearest Lidl,
    seconded!

ReputationRep:
    Earplugs if you're in halls, but test them before you leave for uni to make sure you don't sleep through your alarm!

Buy a few loaves of bread and freeze them, that way you'll always have toast when you want it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    if you are going to do this make sure your room will allow the kettle to work without blowing it up. some unis and halls of residence have restrictions on voltage, mine specifically mentioned hairdryers, irons and kettles. so do check.
    It would be current, if voltage was lowered mant things would not work!
    They do this to save moeny by stopping high current applianes from being run. Normally by fitting a low ampage (10/16A) MCB/RCBO/fuse to your room's sockets instead of the normal 32A ring main found at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)

Try to visit a supermarket for your shopping not the local shop it will no doubt be expensive.
    This will not necessarily be the case, although few places will beat LIDL and some of the food/booze can be quite acceptable.

If there is a good butcher locally then do use it as s/he will be able to supply the unusual (and therefore often) cheaper cuts that the supermarkets avoid. Properly cooked these can taste even better than the expensive stuff - a slow-cooker is a real boon here.

Greengrocers also often have good deals and a large carrier of veg can be had for much less than you'd pay in the supermarket. Canny shopping is part of student life.

If you do use a supermarket for a big shop and there is not one near your digs then consider internet shopping as the charge for delivery may be less than the taxi-ride, it's a heck of a lot quicker and you can't be tempted by that special offer on 5kg of chocolate.

Carrying shopping in a rucksack is much easier than those horrible plastic bags which cut your hands after 100 yards and it's much more eco-friendly.

ReputationRep:
    If like me, it's NECESSARY you have a television (for my course HONEST!), don't forget a television license. I know people will automatically harp on at you about it, but if you go down to your local post office you can set up a monthly direct debit to pay for it. So instead of splurging your whole £121 in one go, pay it off in ten pound payments.
    Don't get your licence until the beginning of October. Then you can claim back for the quarter of the year that you're not at university (July/August/September). When you get your TV licence it automatically backdates it to the beginning of the month - so if you buy it on the 30th September it starts from the 1st September!!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=JennLlama]If you're living in halls, always close your windows and lock your doors when you go out - even if it's just to the kitchen. Harsh sounding I know but fairly important unless you want your laptop/stereo/whatever else you own that's expensive and portable being stolen.QUOTE]

I just heard from someone at Hull (a hole of the north) that last night all their alcohol got stolen during the fire drill.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I started uni last week and i brought my tv with me...(i would recommend bringing it...its good for waking yourself up in the morning) i brought the little metal aerial too...didnt think anything of it..when i got here and tuned my tv in i was amazed at how poor the reception was...i couldnt see the screen atall...so i had to go and by a fly-by tv/fm wire that runs from the aerial plug on the tv into the wall socket that is in my room..(didnt know there was one)...this is the only way to get perfect reception...so i suggest people take this wire with them...or be prepared to buy one and use it if the room has a little round plug in the wall......

just a thought...

ReputationRep:
    ditzy blonde i read ur reply of a prospectus ur fake am sure it was the oxford brookes.the nerve u copied it word 4 word.

heyy - i'm sure a lot of u are at university already, but i was wondering if you guys could give me advice on mobile phone networks - would u recommend the prepaid kind or the pay as you go kind, and what what networks are good out of say, Vodafone, O2, Three etc and have you come across any really good deals? I've tried doing some research online, but after a while all the numbers just start swimming around inside my head, so i was hoping some of you could help me out??

thanx a lot in advance!!
    and good luck to all!! hope you're having loads of fun!!

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say that I'm having a great time at Uni despite coming through clearing. The voltage thing at my halls is just a ploy to make us not use too much electricity but in fact everything works (so I guess they lied)! It still feels a bit weird being in a new environment but hopefully things will settle down next week. Hope everyone is doing ok!

Elle

ReputationRep:
    If in London there are these cheeky things you can pick up that are leaflets that are 2 for 1. Pick up one of those and it has 4 vouchers in the back and what you can do is you and 7 friends can go to a Deep Pan Pizza and get an all you can eat buffet for £3 each. Though drinks aren't included. Also available are napkins and if you buy tupperware (your mother will send you off with a ton of that) you can make one meal last for days!

Oh another thing on pizza stuff, a lot of these places have free refills so share a drink with ur friend and it works out at half price. make sure u dont share with someone scabby....

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.