Turn on thread page Beta

Advice and tips for students. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OK, some things I forgot:

Soap
    Spare razor blades (expensive, so get your parents to buy them)

I also forgot passport photos, but so far no one's wanted any. There are people here with 20 photos they don't need.

ReputationRep:
    I hope everyone took their NRA/ROA

ReputationRep:
    I forgot:
    Shampoo
    Tooth-paste
    Shower gel

WhenI got these it was my first time shopping on my own (for groceries). I had know idea what they should cost or anything!!

ReputationRep:
    im loving it at uni...to all those applying for 2005 entry...try to remember to bring something that's gnna make your room homely...! posters, pictures, teddies, fairy lights...anything coz it does take quite a bit to make these bare rooms feel more like home!

ReputationRep:
    Something we do at home (I'm not going in halls sadly) but if you end up with loads of 1ps and 2ps get everyone to put them into a bottle or something, cahnge the money at the bank when it starts getting full and with the few quid you've gathered, buy something that the house, or your room needs... something that you can share or whatever. comes in handy.

ReputationRep:
    Some tips I got from the student's in Bangor

Don't buy your tv licence (if you need one) until the week after freshers (2nd week in October) as by some method you can claim back some of the fee and then get drunk.

If you have an ensuite, your shower might be too big for normal shower curtains...the uni should sell nice big long ones.

Claim to have a special need. People with special needs find out about fire drills hours (sometimes days) in advanced. These are the people who you see all nice and wrapped up in jumpers etc at 4 in the morning while your in PJs.

Sercurity are your friend....when the tv license and clammpers are around or if you want to change a lightbulb and can't reach.

Get your parents to put money on your uni card (if you can) is good because £600 = loads of bear in SU.

If you live in halls which have to cleared out during Christmas and Easter, for what ever reason, you can get away with hiding it in the ceiling (those tiles which lift up reveal big void!) or mates room.

EDIT - Oh I forgot this one

If you want to leave the next person having your room a message, glow in the dark paint (as during the day it doesn't show up) is a good way and the main office will come along and repaint it after its been read for free and you don't get into trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Claim to have a special need. People with special needs find out about fire drills hours (sometimes days) in advanced. These are the people who you see all nice and wrapped up in jumpers etc at 4 in the morning while your in PJs.
    Better than this, keep a bath robe or similar in your room. Easy to grab if you're awoken by the fire alarm. After all, you'll only have one practise and the rest will be because of burnt food and stuff. I haven't had any false alarms yet though, they have _good_ alarms here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaoscomplex)
    Better than this, keep a bath robe or similar in your room. Easy to grab if you're awoken by the fire alarm. After all, you'll only have one practise and the rest will be because of burnt food and stuff. I haven't had any false alarms yet though, they have _good_ alarms here.
    Bangor has two each year...one usually at 3am and one at one 8am.

ReputationRep:
    University League Tables

Times

Click Here

Sunday Times

Click Here

Guardian

Click Here

Daily Telegraph

Click Here

Financial Times

Click Here

International Rankings 1

Click Here

International Rankings 2
    Click Here

International Rankings 3 (Times Higher Education)
    *PM me for Username and Password

ReputationRep:
    Someone metioned this earlier in the thread but get a wall chart of the academic year because it is so useful to be able to put deadlines, events and appointments on it instead of a little book or worse forgetting. I have got one for free, two years in a row from Waterstones. Went in to buy a few books (what else?) and saw the charts at the till, put one with my stuff and was just given them for free! Moral of the story: shops giving away free things, take them.

ReputationRep:
    That is good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    That is good idea.
    Wow!!! I remember nervously reading this thread in the summer just prior to starting uni!!! How fast time flys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Clothes pegs, for your socks. When you do the washing, your socks always dissapear don't they. Get some plastic clothes pegs and clip the socks together when you put them in.
    surely this isn't good for hte washing machine?!

ReputationRep:
    A better way is to use a net bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    surely this isn't good for hte washing machine?!
    I dunno but I know you can buy them so they must be alright. Anyway its gonna be your machine your wrecking!

Buy some boxes to put random junk in. I can imagance there isn't much room or drawers in your room. I've just bought 3 for £3.99 (well actually £3.19 with my discount) at Woolies that are plastic and can be flat packed and re-made, which are good.

ReputationRep:
    *Money saving tip for all uni-goers*

One of the worst ways you can find your money disappearing is when you draw out £10 then blow it on a McDonalds and a magazine or something. You may only spend about £6, but the change goes in your back pocket. You then forget about it and next time you need to buy something you just draw out another £10. I found I completely lost track of a lot of my money - it's easier to spend notes than small change but don't underestimate it!

Keep a money jar (though not somewhere obvious!) and you will find that it soon adds up. You may feel like a prize idiot when you're the person holding up the queue at the supermarket because you're paying all in 5p's, but it saves a lot of money in the end.

ReputationRep:
    "Get a few people together and do your food shopping over the internet. Make sure there's not too many people though cuz then there might be arguments about whos got what when the shoppin arrives."

thats all fine unless you live in the one bit of a city that no delivery people deliver to.
    go to the trade fair and likewise in freshers week! so much free stuff that is so useful! even if not for the use its intended!

dont buy wall planners or calenders you will get lots!

th3e pens you get in freshers week will also probably last throughout the year (unless your weird like me n write only in green)

put things on the wall of your room straight away it helps you feel at home.

get a fish! they always brighten up the world! (although i think one of ours may be dying )

Be Happy!, even if its hard to do! throw your self in try not to be home sick first impressions are important! and giving off good vibrations can make all the difference! the people i met in the first few days are alot of the people im still good friends with, 5 months seems alot longer than it is.

take care, dont drink too much!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I was grateful for any clues about uni so I thought I'd put some tips.

1. Don't drink *too* much. Nothing wrong with drinking, in fact, I think some alcohol makes u more relaxed and therefore more likely to talk. BUT, some ppl really overdo it. Not a good lifestyle physically or mentally and it's v. expensive. And if u don't want to drink, don't feel pressured. If ppl can't accept it then they r not worth the bother.

2. Bring lots of coathangers! I brought some but not enough. Lots of practical stuff like pins, safety pins, paper clips + folders is useful too.

3.Get to know lots of people. Living in hall is fairly intense so disagreements happen so it's good to know ppl other than those in your main group. Besides, u might share diff. interests with diff. ppl. And smiling, nodding, acknowledging people works well. Don't worry- it really is easy to make friends. I'm quite awkward with strangers and I managed. Social life can be stressful but the benefits, including the long term friendships u get, are well worth the costs.

4. Be organised. U have to be somewhat flexible with ur time but it's good to know when + where u have to be places.

5. Don't stress if u can't do all the extra reading. They sometimes give u way more than is possible so just pick and choose what is interesting and what u have time for.

Can't think of anything else. Good luck to everyone with getting there chocie of uni.

ReputationRep:
    ok i think 1 of the most essential skills of being a student is time management skills!

design a timetable that would distinguish your study life aswell as your social life! i know dats really boring and u think its a load of crap, but trust me it works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie55)
    Ok, I was grateful for any clues about uni so I thought I'd put some tips.

1. Don't drink *too* much. Nothing wrong with drinking, in fact, I think some alcohol makes u more relaxed and therefore more likely to talk. BUT, some ppl really overdo it. Not a good lifestyle physically or mentally and it's v. expensive. And if u don't want to drink, don't feel pressured. If ppl can't accept it then they r not worth the bother.

2. Bring lots of coathangers! I brought some but not enough. Lots of practical stuff like pins, safety pins, paper clips + folders is useful too.

3.Get to know lots of people. Living in hall is fairly intense so disagreements happen so it's good to know ppl other than those in your main group. Besides, u might share diff. interests with diff. ppl. And smiling, nodding, acknowledging people works well. Don't worry- it really is easy to make friends. I'm quite awkward with strangers and I managed. Social life can be stressful but the benefits, including the long term friendships u get, are well worth the costs.

4. Be organised. U have to be somewhat flexible with ur time but it's good to know when + where u have to be places.

5. Don't stress if u can't do all the extra reading. They sometimes give u way more than is possible so just pick and choose what is interesting and what u have time for.

Can't think of anything else. Good luck to everyone with getting there chocie of uni.
    Thanks for the useful advice!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.