Advice and tips for students. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    I forgot:
    Shampoo
    Tooth-paste
    Shower gel

WhenI got these it was my first time shopping on my own (for groceries). I had know idea what they should cost or anything!!
    my toothpaste costs £7 a tube :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm…

I am not living in the UK but I will be coming over to study in this coming September.

I would like to inquire more about mobile phones in UK.

Does getting a mobile line come with a mobile phone itself? Or are they to be bought separately?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could provide me the websites of the local mobile line dealers.

Regards,
    EricZ.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm…

I am not living in the UK but I will be coming over to study in this coming September.

Does getting a mobile line come with a mobile phone itself? Or are they to be bought separately?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could provide me the websites of the local mobile line dealers.

Regards,
    EricZ.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys..for when you all arrive in halls, just wanted to tell u about my experience in case it happens to anyone reading...
    I live in a flat with only 4 people, 2 girls and 2 guys. When i arrived i fully expected a traditional halls atmosphere with 7 or 8 people sharing a kitchen, so i was worried about oppurtunities id have to meet people, especially since it was so secure! You've got to swipe to get into reception, swipe to get into your block and then have a key to open your flat door and room door. So i couldnt just walk into somebody else's flat and say hi. When I arrived, I was the only one there. My parents left coz i assumed everyone else would arrive before long. That day only 1 guy arrived, and he seemed really quiet and was with his family all day. I got really upset as i hadn't expected to be a loner on my first day! But i made myself go out into the courtyard after dinner and spoke to the 1st person i saw, ending up going to a club down the road with this girl and some others. Here i met the group of people im now really close to (they're all in the same flat but most are on my course) so im so so glad i had the courage to go out that night! I'm not best friends with the others in my flat..i see the girl for dinner but thats about it.
    So...dont worry if you're alone a lot on your 1st day..its scary coz its new and if no one else is there like u expected you'll feel lonely but don't worry!!! They will arrive! And even if your flat is small and u dont get on with anyone stick it out, you will meet some amazing people. Also, if u end up at a uni where the majority isnt your race (my halls are very asian) don't worry - it will be ok, you'll end up being friends with lots of people of all different races and nationalities. Good luck everyone, you'll love uni! xx

ReputationRep:
    I am an American student planning to study in England spring 2006 (UCL, Warwick, or Leeds to decide from) but probably UCL cos I like the idea of London (even though I'd love to spend tons of time up North being a huge Manchester/Factory music fan.) On top of that I'll be coming over with a friend from home. Does anyone know if coming in January gives you a good freshers experience? What should we do to best meet people? Whats the best way to room? And what to do for mobile phones? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REChoppy)
    I am an American student planning to study in England spring 2006 (UCL, Warwick, or Leeds to decide from) but probably UCL cos I like the idea of London (even though I'd love to spend tons of time up North being a huge Manchester/Factory music fan.) On top of that I'll be coming over with a friend from home. Does anyone know if coming in January gives you a good freshers experience? What should we do to best meet people? Whats the best way to room? And what to do for mobile phones? Thanks!
    id say the best freshers experience would be freshers week, when everyone first arrives in sep/oct. although i know that some unis have a second freshers week.
    if you wanna meet people just start to talking to people who are on your course or join societies. everyones really friendly, so dont worry about that.
    i have one link for mobiles http://www.orange.co.uk thats the only one i know tho sorry! but you will need a mobile, it makes it easier to speak to people back home, and txting people is usually cheaper.
    most people live in halls in first year. if youre coming in jan i dont know how many places will be available, but contact the uni, and they should be able to help to you out. i think that most unis have a housing association. but theyll always be somewhere to live, even if its not in halls. i think all towns with unis in them tend to have lots of student housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ericz)
    Hmmm…

Regards,
    EricZ.
    the mobile line comes with the phone. if you are on a contract phone then you have to pay for the line rental, but get lots of free txts and phone calls. if you get a pay as go phone, then you dont have to pay line rental but they dont tend to come with as many free minutes. i would recommend pay as go though, because you dont have to worry about running up a huge phone bill that you cant pay.
    i just posted a link above for someone else. or try searching on google.

ReputationRep:
    there's also o2

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    To thank you all for helping me out, when I was getting stressed cos of my daughter stressing out -here's some tips that might come in handy:
    Buy a couple of those 'bits n bobs' boxes, like you get for fishing tackle -cheap shops sell them. Fill one up with medicines 'the sick box' put in: Resolve, plasters, pain relief tablets, stuff for the 'trots', safety pins, antiseptic cream, what ever you can afford or raid the bathroom cupboard at home (make sure its not out of date!) Chuck in a few herbal or natural remedies if you're into that e.g lavender oil, eucolyptus, Rescue Remedy etc.
    Think about what you usual suffer from and what you do about it (or your mum/dad)
    Next one:
    Fill with sewing kit (yes even blokes need it too) Scissors, needles, cotton thread, iron on tape stuff to quick take up hems, etc.
    You can double them up and put both stuff in one box.
    Another one:
    As some one else has said fill it up with your stationary: pens, pencils, rubber, stapler, post it's, page markers, punch hole perferator, bull dog clip, highlighter pens, notebook, blutack, detc etc. Get free stuff by blagging off an office worker, use Argos or betting shop pens, start collecting now.

So when you are there you can stick them under your bed/in wardrobe till you need it.

More ideas:
    Clothes horse or you can get cheap ones that fit over radiators.
    Rubber gloves -the sink always get blocked by someone draining their pasta etc. And sometimes so does the bog! Not by pasta though.
    Screwdriver, hammer or mini tool kit or just a pen knife
    Light bulb
    Take stamps and spare cards for birthdays/hello nan,mum etc.
    Write out some simple recipes -for one, two or 6 people
    Rememeber what you take with you will :
    A) save you having to spend out on when you get there
    B) Will keep you going till you work out the best place to shop (Not the local Waitrose!)
    C) May mean that if you're really lucky some one at home will foot the bill!
    D) You mighht be able to just help someone else out and make the start of a great friendship.

I'll try to think of some more.........

ReputationRep:
    hey regarding mobile phones...
    if u don't live in england, i mean ure an international student, it's hard to get a contract phone. i've been trying to get one for a while, but it's a hassle cos i live in halls, and u need so much proof of address, like bank statement, electricity bill etc etc and really u should live in one place for more than a year, which i can't really provide.
    so when u guys come to england i think u'll prolly get a pay as u go mobile phone, i dunno if u have them in other countries, but u just put credit onto ure phone so u can use it. there are loads of deals, with orange, virgin, t mobile, 3, o2, vodaphone, but u can also sort out a phone when u get here, go to a 'phones 4 u' or 'carphone warehouse' store...
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Here's a couple i've thought of

1. Magazine files or letter trays to keep track of whats come in and what needs to go out

2. These neat linen storage bags that slide easily under the bed:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...clickfrom=name

Makes good use of the space under your bed for bed sheets, season clothes etc

3. Laundry bag, Ikea do a neat one with a built-in stand:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/05345_PE079848_S3.jpg

Only £2.50

4. Energy saving bulbs - this may be good if your Halls has an electricity usage limit and you have brought with you a ton of electronics/electrical appliances. This way you save on light. Could work

There's more, but this is the most relevant on my list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    How much does a mini fridge cost? I would like to own one coz' the thought of a communal fridge just freaks me out.
    I'm an international student just like lilsunflower and have the same problems. But where do you keep your fridge when you go to your country for vacation? Is there any storage facility to keep such things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_star)
    I'm an international student just like lilsunflower and have the same problems. But where do you keep your fridge when you go to your country for vacation? Is there any storage facility to keep such things?
    You can rent storage, i dont know anything about other than it exists, would like to know how it works though, i saw an advert saying "From £5/week"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcos!)
    You can rent storage, i dont know anything about other than it exists, would like to know how it works though, i saw an advert saying "From £5/week"

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if any of these have been said already:

An alarm clock - vital if you want to get to your lectures on time

Folders/wallets - these are a really good investment because you get given so many important documents and you'll know where they all are if you have these

A laundry basket, preferably with a handle - I live on the third floor with no lifts so having a strong laundry basket makes it quick and easy. Also, if you have a small load, share with someone, it saves money!

Note pads/jotters/A4 lined paper - obvious i know but the amount of people who forget this! Its important for lectures and seminars as well as for jotting quick things down. Post-it notes also come in really handy

ReputationRep:
    I know it's been mentioned, but Freshers Flu does exist! I live in a flat of ten, and about seven of us had really bad colds and were holed up for days! Make sure you take paracetemol, cold remedies, vix is always helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Oo ooooo....new one!

If you have an ensuite room that is like a 'wetroom', get a new shower curtain to go with you. You will probably need a loooong one - like longer than 176cm (which is incredibly hard to get so internet is probably best bet).

I say this because when I first got here, the shower curtain (meant to be white) was more green from the mould! euwww! Anyway, I merrily walked down town and bought a shower curtain, hung it up and then realised it is a good metre off the floor. I forgot most shower curtains are designed for showers over baths, which a wetroom is not! In the end I bought another shower curtain, cut it in half and stuck it to the one already hung up. Moral of the story, always pack an extra long shower curtain, you never know when you will need it.

ReputationRep:
    So.. anyone got any other contributions? I wish those:

Moving in

What should we expect from our first week?

Useful things to take to uni

.. threads still existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    What should we expect from our first week?

Useful things to take to uni
    Yeah, i could do with more info on those two points

ReputationRep:
    Useful things to take to uni: http://www.studential.com/checklist/

You wont need everything but it will give you some ideas

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.